Heroic Dark Fantasy Campaign

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Okay, I am closing in on what I am looking for. I have read through pretty much all of the 3E Ravenloft material I could get my hands on and I have ordered Darkness & Dread. I am re-reading and re-watching as many things in my source list as possible and listening to soundtracks. I have also been reading this thread by Aeson. I think I have gotten a bit closer.

Here is what I have decided:

The world is not intrinsically evil and there ARE a FEW trying to save it. It has just been abused by so many for so long. If you have seen Van Helsing or Batman, or similar films, I am going to try to color the world as time-worn and weathered as it is portrayed in them. Lots of clouds, rain and mist, etc. Climate is mostly cold. I am thinking British Isles/Pacific Northwest/Eastern Europe (though I have never been to those places, I am talking about the stereotypical dark fiction view of those places) in climate and feel.

The villains will be the sterotypical ones as well, for the most part. I will use Aberrations and Undead primarily, but use a few twists on these occasionally. Sometimes, the monsters are not the real monsters. Sometimes, humanity is capable of darker deeds than even those which they call monsters. Also, I plan on using the optional rule that I read somewhere that enemies can have a unique weakness. I will not overuse it, but some of the main BBEG's need to have it applied. In order to kill them, certain conditions have to be met, or weapons used.

As for the PC's/Heroes, I am going to encourage heroics. I like the Van Helsing/Batman style (after all, Batman is Van Helsing in a newer era with a cooler outfit, right?) of cool toys and the ability to be smacked around and bounce back. It is that pulp-like, comic book feel that Tim Burton, Stephen Sommers and David Goyer do so well that I am looking for (though some don't care for that in their films, I am sure). I am going to power the heroes up a little bit by giving them an ability at each level, a la Midnight Heroic Paths (BWP - looks like the Midnight suggestion was some help after all). I am just not going to allow them to choose or even let them know they are coming until they have the ability. I will have them manifest the ability and let them know they have it. Of course, I will use backstory and character concept to tell me what to give them (Hopefully, cool free powers don't cause people to complain that I didn't allow them to choose what they would be).

Now, I need to find them a patron (such as Commissioner Gordon or the Vatican, to use the two movies I am using most heavily for inspiration) that fits the time period and the party. I am going to use an early renaissance setting I think, with a LITTLE technology and maybe some primitive firearms.

Well, that is all for now.

DM

Remove ads