Heroic Tier "Prestige Classes"

Lord Zack

Explorer
Well we know the Paragon Tier will be giving you Paragon Paths and that the Epic Tier will be giving you Epic Destinies. But I think some concepts might be similar, but yet more suited for the Heroic Tier. But I don't think that it should work exactly like Paragon Paths or Epic Destinies. Some such concepts might fit into base classes, either as a new class to it's self or as part of one or more others, but I think others, particularly the Ur'Priest and Blighter would be more "open", so an Ur'Priest could have Wizard, Sorceror, Psion, ect. levels, but also be an Ur'Priest. Here's how I think it should be done: these should be feats, like the Class Training Feats, which give you appropriate abilities and such, but there's no actual class.

outsider

First Post
I've got a theory on how the "class training" feats work out. Presumably 4e classes have talent trees like Star Wars classes have. I'm guessing a "class training" feat basically gives you access to one of those trees from another class. If that's accurate, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just create a talent tree that no class actually has access to, just allowing a training feat to open it up.

Then again my theory could be completely wrong. :\

Lord Zack

Explorer
Belorin said:
I think it's called multi-classing.

Bel

How do you get a Ur'Priest (ok that one I'll give since you could make an Ur'Priest themed cleric, but I do think that my way would be better) or Blighter by multiclassing? I don't think they'd have they're own classes.

Another use for this kind of thing I pointed out over on planewalker.com, as a way to represent the unusual abilities of Planescape's factions. There wouldn't be an Athar class, but you could take a feat to gain them and also perhaps gain other benefits that make's you more "Athary" depending on exactly how the Class Training Feats work.

I really hope that prestige classes are gone and that there are simply heroic classes that go 1-10, paragon classes that go 11-20 (replacing current prestige classes), and epic destinies for 21-30.

It would be really great to get back to letting my PC grow organically again, not needing to worry about planning his feats and skills out from level 1.

Ken

Lord Zack

Explorer
Well the thing about this idea is that these feats would really just be ways to flavor you're character a bit and give him some unique capabilities. My concept is that you'd even be able to gain them at first level (if you can get normal training feats at 1st level). The prerequisites would be minimal to nil. You'd just have to take the feat. And my understanding of Paragon Paths are that there would be little to no prerequisites and they'd advance alongside you're main class, rather than replacing it.

Dausuul

Legend
Haffrung Helleyes said:
I really hope that prestige classes are gone and that there are simply heroic classes that go 1-10, paragon classes that go 11-20 (replacing current prestige classes), and epic destinies for 21-30.

It would be really great to get back to letting my PC grow organically again, not needing to worry about planning his feats and skills out from level 1.

Ken

Actually, from what I hear, you get heroic classes that go 1-30, with paragon paths (11-20) and epic destinies (21-30) layered on top of that.

outsider said:
I've got a theory on how the "class training" feats work out. Presumably 4e classes have talent trees like Star Wars classes have. I'm guessing a "class training" feat basically gives you access to one of those trees from another class. If that's accurate, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just create a talent tree that no class actually has access to, just allowing a training feat to open it up.

Then again my theory could be completely wrong. :\
I hope you are right, it sounds like a great idea to get 'prestige classes' in the heroic tier. I really like using prestige classes as membership of specific orders or groups. Your idea makes it even better, rather than the order (whatever) totally 'taking over' your PC: you have access to powers etc that just that order has, but still greater that just a feat or series of feats. Like racial substitution levels, but with more effect to your characters progression.

Gort

Explorer
Mistwell said:
I hope they go with advanced classes, like in d20 Modern.
They already said that if you start a barbarian you stay a barbarian for all 30 levels. So no prestige classes or advanced classes. You just get to choose an extra power set that goes on top of that when you become a paragon, and again when you go epic.

On the subject of class training feats, my assumption is that they allow you to pick one power of an appropriate level from another class. So you can grab fireball at the same time the wizard gets it, for instance, or some acrobatic leap thing that gives you combat advantage at the same time as the rogue gets it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases