Hero's Quest (Solo Eberron Campaign)

Kaodi

Hero
( :erm: I do not understand how I keep missing updates when I look everyday. It seems that I watch it until it gets to the end of the second page or so, and then some days later while I think I am still waiting it has already been updated and pushed down the list... )

Climbing into the cart, Valsamath answers gravely, " I have to head into the Mournlands proper. "

He unloads his pack and sits down on the couch. " I doubt that you will want to head into that cursed land with me, even with the protection of the land cart, but I would appreciate if you could at least take me to the nearest point to my destination on the border. "

Pulling out his map, he shows Failin where the place where the mosaic map had Whitehearth. " My ultimate destination lies here. "

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Failin looks at the map and shakes his head. "Into the Mist. You're crazier than I thought." He's quiet for a while, and looks like he's squirming under a pressure of decision, but finally he sighs and continues. "You propably saved my life from those hobgoblins earlier. I owe you this much. I'll take you all the way."

Kaodi

Hero
Valsamath is speechless for a moment, impressed by the mans bravery. " I am honoured that you would take that risk for me, Failin. This should make my journey much easier. But I must say, when we are in the Mournland, if things start to look ugly, I will not think less of you if you decide to retreat. I have never been into the Mists, but I have adventured long enough to know that places with dark reputations have usually earned them, and sometimes the reputation can be an understatement. Thank you. "

Blackrat

"Yeah. To be honest, I'm quite interested to see the Mournlands myself. But you're right. I think only ones insane enough to go there are the Warforged. I hear they're carving out a kingdom there, but you know how rumours are." He puts the cart into motion again and steers around the village so you are not spotted.

Kaodi

Hero
" Hmmm, the warforged... " says Valsamath quietly, thinking to himself for a moment. " I have encountered a few of their kind in this journey already. And given my employer... Maybe we should keep on the lookout for those tin soldiers, in case they try to interfere again. Both of my blades, Scimitar and Falchion, were claimed by animated warriors who bore the same names. "

He leans back and tries to relax for a while. Once they pass into the Mists, he is sure it will be close to impossible to do that, even with meditation...

Blackrat

It is only less than hour when you finally hit the edge of the Mist. It almost looks like a solid wall before you. The mist just slides off the sides of the wagon and engulfs you. Visibility is gone. If you were outside the wagon you couldn't see your own hand before you. All sound suddenly muffles and a feeling of dread tries to overwhelm you. From somewhere, just at the edge of hearing you hear sounds of battle. This goes on for a while when all of a sudden the cart rolls out of the Mist.

You find yourself in a battlefield. Bodies of Brelish and Cyran soldiers as far as eye can see lie on the ground. Though you know it must have been at least four years since this battle took place, it's hard to believe seeing the field. The bodies look like they had just died. No decomposition has taken place. Infact, fresh blood still flows from their wounds.

Failin halts the cart to take a better look through the front window. "By the Host!" is all he can utter.

Kaodi

Hero
" Best to just keep moving, " cautions Valsamath in dismay. He had heard stories about this sort of thing, but to see it for himself... Ghastly.

" I am afraid this is probably ' normal ' for this place. Best to try not to cut yourself or get any bruises, because in hear they will be loathe to heal... "

Blackrat

(Sorry, Kaodi. Last week was a bit hell for me. Back now.)

Failin nods and starts the cart back on it's course. The field of corpses continues for a while and this gives you some perspective on how great the war actually was.

A few hours later you arrive at the spot indicated by the map. It is already morning, but the sun is only barely visible through the sickly grey clouds. After a couple of circles around the area you notice a doorway on a hill-face. Mining-cart rails lead down through that hole and few crates are scattered around. It looks like any abandoned mine.

Kaodi

Hero
" All right, now, " says Valsamath, looking around, " You should find somewhere to park this thing were it will blend in. I don't think it'll be hard to do around here. I am going into the mine to investigate. "

The kalashtar gets out of the cart and creeps towards the mine, and then down into it. Once it begins to get a little to hard to see, and if he doesn't detect any enemies, he quietly pulls out the magical lanthern Elaydren gave him and opens the shutters enough so that he can see where he is going, and heads further in.

( By the way, is the Everburning Lantern hooded or bullseye? )

Blackrat

( Hmm, it doesn't say about the lantern. Let's say it's a special Cannith version that has a switch to function both ways ;) )

You descent to the mine. Immediatily to your left there is a wooden door and to your right a large open area filled with ore. The mineshaft itself continues in a slight slope downwards.

Remove ads