Hero's Quest (Solo Eberron Campaign)

Kaodi

Hero
Holding his lantern aloft in his left land, fully opened into its hooded form, Valsamath draws out Falchion and carefully opens the door, ready for any gruesome surprises that he might find...

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
The door creaks in disagreement and opens to a small room with a desk and chair, two bookshelves filled with leatherbound tomes and a painting on the wall. The painting is a quite usual portrait of a bearded man with very intricate frames. Otherwise there seems to be nothing of interest in the room.

( I posted a question in the OOC thread )

Kaodi

Hero
The kalashtar slides his sword back into its sheathe and places the lantern on the desk. He does a thorough search of the room, mostly looking through the books, but also through the desk for false bottoms or anything of that sort, and behind the painting.

If he does not find anything of use, he takes the lantern and reconfigures it for bullseye mode. Picking it up in his left again, he pulls out his sword and heads down into the mine being careful to spot anything with the strobing light of the lantern.

Blackrat

You take a book from the shelf and start skimming it through. Numbers mainly. A lot of them. A few books more seems to be the same. It seems like records of mining operations. This was probably the office of the foreman here. You find nothing of interest though you suspect that Korranberg University for one would pay good money on the painting.

After deciding wether or not you grab it with you, you continue down the mine. After a short walk you come to a cross-section where the shaft splits to three. For some reason the cart-tracks stop here also. It doesn't really make sense in a mine...

( You have three choices of course. From left to right we'll call the shafts 1-3 )

Kaodi

Hero
The kalashtar of course decides that it would be easier to grab the painting on the way back out.

" I always choose left... " mutters Valsamath to himself, shining the light down that path. He briefly pauses to scan back towards the other two ways before heading down into the darkness of the left path...

Blackrat

After about a hundred or so yards down the sloping corridor you arrive to a small natural chamber. There is nothing except for a heavy 4-foot-wide metal hatch on the floor. At the center of the hatch is a locking mechanism and a small socket coated in blue enamel.

Kaodi

Hero
Valsamath looks at the hatch for a moment, unsure of how he is to proceed. But then he remembers the small blue rod that he was given by Elaydren. The magician in Rhukaan Draal had been unable to tell him what its function was, but surely it must have something to do with this workshop. So, he pulls it out and looks to see if it will fit into the socket.

Of course, there was the problem of electricity. Keenly aware that he knows no powers or spells that produce it, he hopes that it will not be necessary to open the hatch.

Supposing the the rod does in fact fit into the socket, and supposing that that does not allow him to open it by itself, Valsamath stews for a while, trying to think of what he could do. He then comes up with, what he hopes is, a brilliant idea. Grabbing whatever items he has on him that might help, and using his mental powers and discipline to what use it can, the kalashtar tries to build up a static charge, as big as he can with what is available. Once it has reached its maximum potential, he discharges it into the rod when it is in the mechanism and hopes for the best.

Blackrat

As you slide the rod to the socket there comes a strange "zap" sound from inside followed by a click of the lock. You try to lift the lid and true enough it raises without problem. You now see that the hatch leads down to the darkness with metal ladders studded to one side. If it wasn't apparent by now, you are certain now that this is no ordinary mine...

Kaodi

Hero
Valsamath readjusts his lantern back into hooded mode and attaches it to his belt. He carefully moves himself over the side and onto the ladder, then begins his descent.

Remove ads