Hethas' Gambit continued [top of rnd 8]

Jeremy

Explorer
Is there a rule somewhere that says once all the hard parts of finding people, getting rules laid out, working out logistics, and getting the first couple rounds done that GoD's have to crap out? :(

reapersaurus

Explorer
Good point, jere,y.

As a participant and observer of GoD's, I'm wondering: (I'm speaking generally here) it seems that the DM might gain more satisfaction from the creation of the gameboard, deciding what ruleset(s) he wants, having characters created, and the inital foray into destruction.

Perhaps the slogging thru of rounds (once the ruleset is decided upon) makes the DM feel more like an automaton, mindlessly arbitrating the action, and less of a creative force on the game?

The painful part is that the slogging thru of rounds is exactly what we players (I think) live for, because that's when it's our strategy, wits, rules knowledge and luck that will win it or lose it for us.

Saepiroth

First Post
If things don't start up by the fifth, I think we should just post our character sheets and switch this to a discussion of the dirty tricks we found/were using. :)

Jeremy

Explorer
I can agree to that.

I don't have to see the end game to know who the winner would be. I think in the end everyone still around has a shot, but I think the most shots to the last man standing would be reaper and I think Number47 already has the match in hand from his massive point advantage. :D

EDIT: Added emphasis to the quantifying statement as it is most important.

I can agree to the stats posting.

As an archer type, the battlefield conditions have really harassed me from the beginning so I've just been mainly losing points-something I wasn't really planning on so early-oh well.

Saepiroth

First Post
Five days to go!

Ah, well... I never really planned on getting many real points: I knew I'd be outclassed pretty thuroughly, so I was just hoping for some style points and fun.

Well, I'll start as I don't have much confidence left that the game will begin again:

Rillos, male elf Abj5/Incantrix8/Arcane Archer 2: CR 15; ECL 15; Medium-size Humanoid (elf); HD 13d4+2d8+45; hp 113; Init +12; Spd 30 ft; AC 22 (+8 Dex +4 Haste); Melee MW Rapier +16/+11 (1d6-1, 18-20/x2); Ranged longbow +25/+20 (1d8+6/crit x3) (not including arrows); SA enchant arrow +1, imbue arrow, spells; SQ elven traits, hardy spirit, send away, summon familiar; AL N; SV Fort +13, Ref +17, Will +13; Str 8, Dex 20 (26), Con 14 (18), Int 16 (22), Wis 10, Cha 8.
Explanation of Attack Bonus: Longbow-BAB +8/+3, +8 Dex, +5 Weapon, +1 Weapon Focus, +2 bracers of archery - at Minimum +1 from Arrows (due to Arcane Archer's enchant arrows ability), so minimum of +25/+20 (above)
Occasional Attack Bonus Modifiers: Potion of Heroism (+2), Point Blank Shot (+1), +4 Arrows from Greater Magic Weapon, Quickened True Strike (+20) (So up to +50 when not within Point Blank Range)
Skills and Feats: Concentration +17, Hide +11, Knowledge (arcana) +18, Knowledge (the planes) +14, Listen +10, Move Silently +11, Spellcraft +18, Spot +10; Enlarge Spell, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Scribe Scroll (Virtual), Quicken Spell, Weapon Finesse (Rapier), Weapon Focus (Longbow).
SA-Enchant Arrow (Su): Every nonmagical arrow fired by Rillos acts as a +1 arrow; this arrow will not function for other characters.
SQ-Elven Traits (Ex): Sleep immunity, +2 save vs. Enchantment, low-light vision, proficient: longsword or rapier, proficient: longbows and shortbows.
Send Away (Ex): The incantatrix gains a +2 bonus to all dispel checks and caster level checks to harm, banish, or overcome the spell resistance of outsiders. This includes dispel checks to dispel a summon monster spell.
Hardy Spirit (Su): At 4th level, the incantatrix becomes immune to death effects and energy drain attacks.
Instant Metamagic (Su): Once per day, the 7th-level incantatrix can use a single metamagic effect of any metamagic feat she knows on a spell without preparing it beforehand or increasing its casting time. The spell works as if prepared with the metamagic feat except it uses the same spell slot. This can only be used to enhance an Abjuration or Transmutation spell.
Improved Metamagic (Su): At 8th level, the incantatrix has mastered metamagic to such an extent that whenever she uses a metamagic feat, the feat's level increase upon a spell is reduced by one (this can't reduce an increase to less than one level, or less than zero levels if the increase is already +0). For example, an incantatrix wizard could prepare a quickened fireball as a 6th-level spell instead of a 7th-level spell. This can never be used to lower a spell slot by more than one level.

Wizard Spells Prepared (4/7/7/6/6/5/4/2) (Conjuration and Enchantment banned):
0-Detect Magic x4
1-Expiditious Retreat, Shield (x2), True Strike (x4)
2-Locate Object (x5), Protection from Arrows, See Invisibility
3-Fly, Greater Magic Weapon (x2), Haste (x3)
4-Dimensional Door (x2), Quickened True Strike (x3)
5-Quickened True Strike (x3), Repulsion
6-Antimagic Field (x4)
7-Enlarged Antimagic Field (x2)
Typical Combat Round (after Hasted, perferably Invisible)-Use hasted partial action to cast Antimagic Field, imbuing it into an arrow, Quickened True Strike, fire arrow with main action (around +50 attack bonus), move using move 60 ft. as equivilant action.
Equipment: Masterwork Rapier (320), +5 Darkwood Longbow (59,375), 200 arrows (10), Amulet of Health +4 (16,000), Boots of Striding and Springing (6,000), Bracers of Archery (5,100), Cloak of Resistance +3 (9,000), Gloves of Dexterity +6 (36,000), Headband of Intellect +6 (36,000). 260 Gold remaining for misc. cheap items like 3 Spell Component Pouches.
Expendable Items: Dust of Disappearance x2 (7,000), Potion of Heroism (900)
SCROLLS-True Seeing x2 (3,800), Wall of Force x 4 (4,500), Scroll of Fly (375)
POISONS-8 doses of Wyvern Poison (24,000)

In retrospect I messed up alot of things when I made my character. Spell memorization for one (should have loaded more Dispel Magic's and offensive spells and I forgot at the time that Locate Object only helped me get a sense of the direction of combatants, not their exact location). I took some things out that I thought were too powerful like dust of choking and sneezing-which probably would have been disallowed anyways. I forgot about the haste change Seasong was using, and I wasn't allowed the 3.0 SRD version of the arcane archer, which would have allowed me to make two imbued arrow shots or simply not waste my 5th level slots with quickened true strike. The weapon finesse is there simply because I forgot to pick up Far Shot (or possibly Rapid Shot).

My character's main "schtick" was 6 arrows that I imbued Antimagic Field with. Upon hitting, the antimagic field would stick to the target (with a +50 attack bonus from my Quickened True Strike) and would basically render them nearly powerless for the rest of the match. To actually be able to kill said antimagic'd arena members I have Wyvern Poison, after noting how vulnerable almost all PCs were without magical items to boost their fortitude save, and protect or cure them from poison. I delayed using this tactic because A) the environmental conditions were nasty for ranged attacks, B) the longer I went on without using any powerful move, the more people would underestimate me and aim their more powerful attacks elsewhere, C) I was waiting for there to be only 5 or 6 PCs left before I made my attack and D) I was afraid my tactic would be nerfed after it's first use.

So there's Rillos in a nutshell.

Jeremy

Explorer
Very nice. Haven't got my crew here at work so will post later.

But the general idea was level drain people to the point they couldn't make the saves of my sorcerer. The group was a spectre fighter, vampire fighter, and an incantatrix. Anthony having died to the spectre's level drain rose as another spectre, and Duder was going to do the same in another round. :)

If you are curious, seasong ruled that level drains would only occur 1/round instead 1/action (i.e. standard slam for drain, extra partial slam for drain) cutting what I had planned on my draining capability to be in half. Which resulted in me playing a bit more conservatively until I could "recruit" more drainers.

In retrospect I shouldn't have gone after Anthony's team as they were doing good damage to the guy in the AMF who was immune to my sorcerer.

Though I was planning to wall of force blaster in and ready an action to disintegrate master or blaster whichever one popped out of their amf/force cube first. Actually had a readied action to disintegrate master in the round this died as I figured he was about to refuel blaster with another heal. Of course instant fog popped up and killed that readied action so we instead went after elephants and bears to turn into more specters.

I'll post the stat blocks when I get home. :)

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
I am finding it hard to accept that seasong would just jerk us along like this, without the strong intention to finish what he started.

On the other hand, by all rights he SHOULD have checked this thread from home, work, hell a coffee house if he had to, if he wanted it to continue.

I'm going to be disappointed as all hell when this finally sinks in.

Remove ads