• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hey, WotC: Give Dwarves their Darkvision Back

Hussar

Legend
Well, IMO, darkvision meant that every party rogue had to have it. You couldn't scout in the dungeon without it. Either goggles of the night or dwarf. It was just too good.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Hopefully that means that not everything and it's brother has Darkvision as well. It should be more of a specifically supernatural ability.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Voss said:
But... torches only provide 20' of bright illumination and 40' of shadowy. Its the same distance, and they can't see as well!

Do you think that if a torch is lit 100ft ahead of someone, they will not see it because of the dark in between? ;)

frankthedm

First Post
Anyone know how does Saga does Low light Vision?

I just got a hunch, more of a guess that maybe 4E low light vision will only turn shadowy light into normal light, leaving areas normally dark to torch light, still dark to torch light.

That would make it simpler to draw out the battle-mat.

Attachments

• low life vision.GIF
    low life vision.GIF
    15.1 KB · Views: 135

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
frankthedm said:
Anyone know how does Saga does Low light Vision?
Klaus mentioned it on the last page. He didn't mention a range, but then, I certainly wouldn't mind not worrying about light radii and whatnot.
Klaus said:
Note that 4e Low-light vision will probably work like it does in Star Wars Saga:

Low-light Vision: the character ignores concealment from poor lighting, except for total concealment.

Smerg

First Post
Given WotC earlier discussion on Race levels.

I expect the vision of the Dwarves to have a feat/talent that will allow them to improve it to darkvision at a particular level.

This could then represent the really tough dwarves that work in the real deep depths.

Goken100

First Post
BadMojo said:
Oh, the torches are there for ambiance. Dwarves are too manly for scented candles.
Ya, darn right they're too manly. Speaking of which, can the women have their beards back? Poor things, must be freezing to death down there. :)

Klaus

First Post
Merlin the Tuna said:
Klaus mentioned it on the last page. He didn't mention a range, but then, I certainly wouldn't mind not worrying about light radii and whatnot.
As ruleslawyer said, there's no range. As long as it isn't total concealment, you ignore any concealment from poor lighting.

Meaning an elf with Saga-style Low-Light Vision would be able to see perfectly well in starlight, unlike the 3.x version.

WSmith

First Post
I like this change too. In fact once upon a time, in the OD&D three little book set, NONE of the PCs had infravision. This 4e change sort of goes along with what I did in many of my Classic D&D games, were dwarves have a low-light vision and elves have a sort of enhanced distance vision (think Legolas) instead of any kind of night or dark vision. I love Dwarven halls full of torches.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads