D&D General Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan complaint

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
To orient a map means to determine how directions on the map align to directions on the ground. The term comes from Medieval Europe where church scholars drew maps of the known world with the Orient (China) at the top, but today most maps are drawn with true north at the top.

jasper

Rotten DM
One thing about world maps that I find kind of interesting since I live in Japan. In Japan, world maps place Japan in the center of the map. There's no reason why not, it's just something I find interesting.
I talked with some people from other nations. Most remember their Geography books having their nation in the center.

There is no reason for North to be to the left. Yes, the map is long in one direction. But it is entirely underground, with no relation to anything else outside of it. So - why not have the long direction go West-East and the short direction go North-South?

I can't even...

The main issue with that is if the module says, "On the north wall of the room is a bookcase...."

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, I remember a lot of old school flavor text using directions, as if the players have constant access to a compass, lol.

It assumed a party mapper. Though if their map was off, the boxed text could correct them. . . or cause further confusion! o_O:p

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
The main issue with that is if the module says, "On the north wall of the room is a bookcase...."
It's this that's the problem. As I read the box text, it says the "North wall of the room there's a door"; but the door is on the left side of the room in the Roll20 map.
If the directions had any bearing on anything outside the dungeon, I'd give them a pass - but they don't. The module is self-contained...

Remove ads