• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hiding and Moving Silently on a Mount

Jhyrryl

First Post
What kind of penalties are assessed when a creature attempting to be stealthy is being used as a mount? The worse of the rider's and mount's armor check penalty?

dcollins

Explorer
I would think only the penalties specific to the mount apply. If the rider's weight (incl. armor & gear) pushes the mount into medium or heavy encumbrance, then those penalties kick in.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I think I'd require separate checks for the mount and rider, and use the lower result. If the rider scratches his nose or something and causes his armor to jingle, it doesn't matter how silent the mount is.

Vaxalon

First Post
AuraSeer said:
I think I'd require separate checks for the mount and rider, and use the lower result. If the rider scratches his nose or something and causes his armor to jingle, it doesn't matter how silent the mount is.

I wouldn't check move silently unless the vegetation was at a level where he'd have to be careful to avoid it.

I don't think a mounted character would have many opportunities to hide.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Here's a related question: does someone need to make a Move Silently check if he's standing still?

Say the BBEG has been magically blinded, and he's trying to find a target by ear. The party fighter stands as still as possible and tries not to make noise. He's not technically trying to "move" silently, but it's hard to be totally noiseless even when you're staying put. (Ask any kid who ever played Marco Polo.)

I would probably make the fighter in that situation roll a check in order to remain unheard. Being silent on the back of a moving animal is clearly harder than being silent while standing still.

Darklone

Standing still gives a +20 bonus to Move Silently IIRC. Song & Silence perhaps?

As for the horse... Hiding with a horse is possible. Cowboy movies? You simply need outdoor distances instead of dungeon environments.

Urbannen

First Post
Idea for handling moving stealthily on a horse:

Make horse move at half speed.

On a successful Ride check DC 5, the horse makes a Hide check for the movement. If the Ride check is unsuccessful, anyone within sight range will notice the clumsy horse and rider.

Since most horses have poor Hide checks, they can only move stealthily from a distance.

You can use Handle Animal to teach a horse a trick called "hide." This trick will allow the handler to apply his Hide check result to the horse if it is higher than the horse's result.

You can also use Handle Animal to teach a horse a trick called "quiet." This trick will allow the handler to apply his Move Silently check result to the horse if it is higher than the horse's result.

The Handle Animal DC to get an animal to perform the "hide" and "quiet" tricks is 10. This must still be followed by a successful Ride check DC 5 if the handler is astride the horse.

Edit: Without these tricks, a rider cannot use his own Hide and Move Silently checks while on horseback because he is not the one moving.

Last edited:

Remove ads