• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

High AC Barbarian

Erywin

First Post
Well Blarg and I both made up 5th level characters to beat on each other to see how things would go :) The dwarf was totally outmatched by the human druid 5 with a Dire Bat companion, had no way to reach him once he was 60' in the air. Altho the dwarf held his own verses entangle and a few of the Ref saving spells. The second round without the companion was better, tho I didn't manage to do much damage. Blarg had him casting entangle and spike growth so by the time I got to the druid, I didn't have many hp left :( Going to make up some more characters tomorrow, hopefully a melee type to test the barbarian against :D

-------------------------------

Male dwarf barbarian 3/fighter 2
CN Medium humanoid (dwarf)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60ft.; Listen +1, Spot +1

AC 24 (26), touch 14 (16), flat-footed 21 (23)
(+3 dex, +6 BP+1, +3 HSS +1, +1 shield spec., +1 ring of prot +1) (+2 whirling frenzy)
hp 53 (3d12 +2d10 +15)
Fort +10, Ref +8 (+10), Will +3
(+2 vs. poisons, +2 vs. spells and spell-like)
Defenses +4 vs bullrush and trip on solid ground

Spd 30 ft.
Melee +1 dwarven waraxe +9 (1d10+5)
Melee +1 dwarven waraxe +11 (1d10+7)
Melee +1 dwarven waraxe +9/+9 (1d10+7)
Ranged (2)throwing axe +9 (1d6+3)
Other +1 vs goblinoids, +1 dmg when under half hit points

Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 8
Base Atk +5; Grp +8
Feats Shield Specialization (Heavy Steel Shield), Power Attack, WF (Dwarven weapons), WS (Dwarven Waraxe)
Skills (-6 ACP) Climb +5, Jump +5, Intimidate +7
Gear +1 breastplate, +1 heavy steel shield, cloak of resistance +1, ring of protection +1, brute gauntlets (MIC 83), 3 CLW potions, lesser Rubicund Frenzy Crystal

edit: ended up taking the first racial substitution for fighter

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Erywin said:
The dwarf was totally outmatched by the human druid 5 with a Dire Bat companion, had no way to reach him once he was 60' in the air.

Ranged (2)throwing axe +9 (1d6+3)

Dude, longbow! Throwing axes are great for flavor, but there's no excuse for this character not to have a longbow. Dex 16, full base attack bonus, and all martial weapons. Seriously.

I know barbarians are (for some reason) supposed to scoff at ranged weapons, but we're already breaking stereotype with the shield, let's not hold back on the ranged weapons.

Yes, it's a pain to have to drop the shield, but not being completely useless against flyers is paramount.

-Nate

Erywin

First Post
Yeah, just wasn't expecting to go against a flyer right off the bat :confused: Next round he is definately getting one :) Hold the phone... in whirling frenzy it says one additional attack in each round, not melee attack :] BOOYAH!! :D Composite Longbow with a +3 Str mod?

Cheers,
E

PS. Druid had the silly armor crystal that gave +5 vs. ranged weapons, AC 26ish after buffs, altho betcha I could've taken down the bat quickly :D

Old Gumphrey

First Post
1 vs 1 deathmatches against a druid outside is probably not the best way to gauge a character's effectiveness. Try it underground with the barbarian getting a surprise round from 20 feet away and tell us what happens.

Remove ads