• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

High AC Barbarian

Erywin

First Post
Ah kk, thanks. Thought I had missed something, none of my players ever use a Tower Shield and I have never built NPCs with them. Maybe I need to start :)

Cheers,
E

Alpha Polaris

First Post
Zzyzx said:
Fighters and barbarians need to spend a feat to be proficient in tower shield, don't they?
Not the fighter, which is the reason he took a fighter level i guess. This character cannot specialize in Tower Shield, though: the specialization only applies to a light or heavy shield, not a buckler, nor a tower shield.

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Also the frenzy attacks are at +4/+4 because you get another -2 for frenzying on top the tower shield penalty...it's really not that great if you asked me.

2 BAB + 3 STR + 1 WF + 2 str bonus - 2 frenzy - 2 tower shield

A fighter can grab full plate, heavy shield, and masterwork weapon and do the same thing with a sane attack bonus.

1 DEX + 8 armor + 3 shield = 22 AC

2 BAB + 4 STR + 1 WF + 1 MW = +8 / 1d10+4

Tower Shield is just overkill at this point for the barb build. Heavy shield gets you similar AC with a much better attack bonus.

The Souljourner

First Post
Ahh, I forgot you can't specialize in the tower shield. That's a damn shame.

Also, I didn't realize the frenzy gave you -2 to hit with the extra attack (I've never seen the ability, was just using the description other people gave). That does make it much less attractive, though the AC bonus and the fact that the extra attack is optional is pretty cool.

BTW, the reason I was using medium armor was to keep the +10 movement from the barbarian level.

Ok, so screw the tower shield... +2 AC and -2 attack can be accomplished with combat expertise anyway...

Dwarven Barbarian 2 with heavy shield, shield specialization, breastplate and frenzy:

Dex +3 armor +5 shield +3 frenzy +2 = AC 23
Attacks:
Str +3 BAB +2 frenzy str +2 WF +1 MW +1 = +9 or +7/+7 at 1d10+5 each

Old Gumphrey, you gave your fighter 18 strength, I was specifically staying away from that, since few people will really want to spend so many points on one ability score.

Anyway, even without the tower shield (booo! I was hoping there might actually be a use for the thing...) AC 23 at level 2 is *hard* to hit. This guy only hits himself on a 14+ even while frenzied and not taking the extra attack. That's pretty harsh.

-Nate

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Eh, there were links posted.

Medium armor, also because he has 16 dex. But really, building a barbarian in heavy armor is kind of pointless. Fast Movement is pretty damn good. It ensures that you can adequately chase down your targets.

Some people will give 18 str since it is within the rules. Maybe if you are playing an ultra low power 25 point buy game nobody will take an 18. I gave 18 str because he only needs 12 dex. Seems fine to me. He could also beef up on Con instead and have even more HP.

The revised shield frenzy barb looks pretty sick, tbh.

The Souljourner

First Post
Old Gumphrey said:
Eh, there were links posted.
I guess I didn't see them. Just found it myself: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy

Old Gumphrey said:
Medium armor, also because he has 16 dex.
Well, more like 16 Dex because he has medium armor. :D

Old Gumphrey said:
Some people will give 18 str since it is within the rules. Maybe if you are playing an ultra low power 25 point buy game nobody will take an 18.
You're right - if he dropped his dex to 12, he could have an 18 strength. I dont' think it's worth it, even in the 32 point buy I was using. We all know how good Dex is, and for a barbarian it obviously helps a lot (eventually will be useful for mithril full plate). Anyway....

Old Gumphrey said:
The revised shield frenzy barb looks pretty sick, tbh.
Yeah, I agree... definitely not the AC 16 (at best) type guy you expect to be fighting and still pretty good damage (the extra attack helps a lot there).

-Nate

Erywin

First Post
Loving the revisions, if I were to build one I would definately go the 16 Dex route with medium armor and get Mithril Fullplate eventually when money allowed :) Now if you all had to pick a race, what would it be? Dwarf?

Cheers,
E

Old Gumphrey

First Post
If we're talking straight up AC I'd go halfling (or even better, whisper gnome if it's allowed). I'd also add a few rogue levels to get back some damage and because that synergises well with both halfling and whisper gnome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads