• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

High-Tech Forces vs. High-Magic Forces

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Which billion, the ones that saw him on TV and now believe he is god?

The ones who didn't and heard about it- which gets to timing.

There has yet to be a broadcast that reaches everyone in the world with a TV- as I recall, Princess Di's funeral is #1 with 2.5B (and I wasn't one of them). Unless and until he has control over most of the media outlets, one broadcast won't do it.

I'm guessing, at the minimum, he'd need control over the big American stations & cable news channels, the BBC, Russia's main channel, and the various state-run channels in places like China and other closed societies before that announcement gets him enough converts to avoid at least the rumblings of a holy war.

Hussar

Legend
But, that's the thing. He doesn't NEED TV. He can get the same effect with radio as well. And, putting his first message out as, "Make sure you share this with everyone. Make sure everyone hears this" pretty much makes sure that everyone does.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But, that's the thing. He doesn't NEED TV. He can get the same effect with radio as well. And, putting his first message out as, "Make sure you share this with everyone. Make sure everyone hears this" pretty much makes sure that everyone does.

1) Radio is even less efficient than TV- FM's range is shorter, AM's market is smaller, and while it is potentially worldwide, satellite radio also has only a small audience compared to TV...and the market as a whole is much more fragmented and compartmentalized. It's almost not worth his time.

(Let's be honest here: how many people in this thread regularly listen to radio? I only do so if my Mom is in the car- the rest of the time, I'm listening to CDs.)

2) "Sharing the message with others" is, arguably, not going to have the same massive bonuses. The secondary conversion rate will not be as high, and as a DM, I probably wouldn't let any secondary method that doesn't include an actual recording of the LeShay have the option of converting someone to a Fanatic.

3) Better than radio would be a YouTube recording that followers send links to...

Remove ads