• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Higher resolution PHB pic on Amazon

RyukenAngel said:
You mean the cover for Hell Boy and Anime Girl: Shopping for Oversized Scabbards?
What? No. I thought that was awful, I whined about quite a bit. (although I don't remember the swords being anywhere near as big as that Dragonborn's there.)

Sir Leeroy and his girlfriend.
phb.jpg

Admittedly, part of the reason I like is that because the people are so small, it's not so obvious that WAR is only really good at drawing monsters. (Although he is really good at that)

-Edit, actually, I'm not sure which picture the poster I was replying to was talking about now, oh well, Sir Leeroy belongs in every art thread until everyone is completely bored of him.

Last edited:

Michele Carter

First Post
small pumpkin man said:
It's a common comic book technique. At least she's got a staff to hold her up while she squats ;)

Could be worse. Could be drawn by BENES.

Beennnnneeessssss!

(This is only funny to comic nerd people like me.)

But I don't mind the pic, honestly. She looks *competent.* That's far more important to me.

HeinorNY

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I know this isn't my father's D&D, but having a heroic armed toad on the cover of the PHB seems like a decision WotC will come to regret.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 200px-BattleToadsDoubleDragon.jpg
    200px-BattleToadsDoubleDragon.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 671

ppaladin123

Adventurer
small pumpkin man said:
What? No. I thought that was awful, I whined about quite a bit. (although I don't remember the swords being anywhere near as big as that Dragonborn's there.)

Sir Leeroy and his girlfriend.

Admittedly, part of the reason I like is that because the people are so small, it's not so obvious that WAR is only really good at drawing monsters. (Although he is really good at that)

-Edit, actually, I'm not sure which picture the poster I was replying to was talking about now, oh well, Sir Leeroy belongs in every art thread until everyone is completely bored of him.

This picture really is a lot better. It shows a full party....fighting a dragon...in a dungeon! The current cover is pretty weak. :\

HeinorNY

First Post
MaelStorm said:
I lol'ed.

EDIT: Nice job with photoshop.
Lol thanks. But it was a Paint job.

ppaladin123 said:
This picture really is a lot better. It shows a full party....fighting a dragon...in a dungeon!
Agreed.
You are not the first to have that simple and obvious reaction and that's exactlywhat the PHB's cover should be, IMO.

When you have to convince others that that is a "good" cover for the new PHB, or if you need to try to find something "D&Dish" about the cover in order to like it, or if you need to "rationalize" it or "understand" why that's the best cover, the cover already blew it. It shouldn't be that troublesome.
It's not a rule, it's art. You don't have to understand it, you have to feel it. It's simple.

I feel nothing when I look on the PHB cover.
When I look at the green dragon image I feel D&D!

Doug McCrae

Legend
WotC_Miko said:
Could be worse. Could be drawn by BENES.
You mean this?

113368-red-sonja_400.jpg

Benes is an even greater genius than WAR cause he figured out how to show her cleavage and ass simultaneously. Without resorting to a mirror, which is too easy.

Remove ads