• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Highly inspirational - Robin of Sherwood US DVD boxed set

WOW! I recently bought the Robin of Sherwood DVD boxed set (US released in March) and find it highly inspirational with lots of things to put into my campaign.

A brief background: Robin of Sherwood was a TV show broadcast in the UK around ’83–’85 and later in the US on Showtime in the late ’80s as well as a couple of double episodes released as movies. To my knowledge, RoS was the first Robin Hood story told with Sword & Sorcery elements. In addition, it has a great soundtrack by the Irish band Clannad (The also performed Harry’s Game which later was used in Patriot's Game and then in a VW commercial). Filmed in a lush Engish woodlands and Mediæval castles the stories included elements of sorcery, a shaman dedicated to Herne the Hunter, magic items, and more.

Some of the elements I have lifted already and/or plan to use:

Seven Swords of Wayland
Hounds of Lucifer (Blackguards)
Shaman of Herne the Hunter prestige class
The Hooded Man prestige class
Knights Templar (all fighters, no warriors)
Baron de Belleme (aristocrat/fighter/wizard)
Silver Arrow
Village “witches” (experts with max ranks in Craft-Pharmaceutical, Healing, Knowledge-Herbalism + skill foci)

I also think it would be fun to try out a Chaotic/Good outlaw campaign. Robin Hood the RPG (OOP by ICE) was heavily influenced by Robin of Sherwood and has some cool adventure ideas.

I should think that Robin, Marian, and the Merry Men would be a group of rangers who take the archery combat style except for Nasir the Saracen (this was 6 years before Kevin Costner's Robin Hood) who is a dual scimitar ranger (also years before Drizzt). However, I think that most of them would have one level of commoner except for Tuck and Marian who would be experts. As mentioned above, Robin is some kind of a Herne Devotee prestige class with limited prophetic powers, probably commune with nature, and other druidic abilities.

For the spellcasters, I am thinking of using the Scholar/Sorcerer class from the Conan RPG to keep the Sword & Sorcery flavor.

Skill-wise, I am going to add in the Craft (Pharmaceutical) skill from d20 Modern. I am also thinking of using the Treat Injury skill from d20 Modern instead of Heal. There is also the Asclepian Doctor and Field Surgeon feats from The New Argonauts (Sean K. Reynolds).

A Robin of Sherwood campaign would be low-magic, hence the need for improved healing skills. I think adding in Action Points would be helpful.

Also, I am toying around with the idea that all normal attacks do non-lethal damage and only critical hits do lethal damage. Heroes and recurring villains will be able to recover from their fights more easily but at the same time critical hits become scarier since the healing time is much longer and there is no healing magic.

There was a comment in one of the early episodes that ‘pitchforks against chainmail is suicide’ which supports armour as DR rather than AC so I will probably include that as well.

Has anyone tried this? If nothing else, I highly recommend the Robin of Sherwood boxed set now that it is available in the US — the Brits have had it now for almost a year I suppose.

nerfherder

Explorer
Griffith Dragonlake said:
I highly recommend the Robin of Sherwood boxed set now that it is available in the US — the Brits have had it now for almost a year I suppose.
We've had it for 5 years now. One of my alltime favourite TV shows. :)

sjmiller

Explorer
As an aside, and a bit of a plug, there's a d20 Robin Hood game coming out in May of this year. It's a stand alone d20 setting (not much needed other than a PH and DMG). One of the many inspirational sources that Wil Upchurch used was Robin of Sherwood[/u]. I have to say, I am a big fan of this book, and that is not only because I am the editor, but because it's some great material.

Here's where you can find an announcement about it and preordering links. http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-307317.html

gizmo33

First Post
Great news! I can finally get rid of these grainy 25-year-old VCR tapes of the show that I've been keeping.

As mentioned above, Robin is some kind of a Herne Devotee prestige class with limited prophetic powers, probably commune with nature, and other druidic abilities.

RoS used druidic prophecy mostly as a plot device. I don't recall Robin ever having invoked any sort of prophetic powers at will, like they work in DnD. Instead he usually got a bunch of premonitions at the beginning of the show - sort of the DMs way of telling him about the coming adventure. If he needed advice, he usually had to go find Herne and ask him what was going on. Of course the game is always just an approximation - but keeping magic in the hands of Herne would motivate PCs to interact with the old druid the way that it did in the show.

sjmiller said:
As an aside, and a bit of a plug, there's a d20 Robin Hood game coming out in May of this year. It's a stand alone d20 setting (not much needed other than a PH and DMG). One of the many inspirational sources that Wil Upchurch used was Robin of Sherwood[/u]. I have to say, I am a big fan of this book, and that is not only because I am the editor, but because it's some great material.

Here's where you can find an announcement about it and preordering links. http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-307317.html

Sounds interesting! Are there any previews or excerpts available?

JohnSnow

Hero
Best Robin Hood series EVER!

d20 Robin Hood book?

Interested.

Robin of Sherwood as inspiration?

VERY Interested.

Designed by Wil (Midnight) Upchurch?

Consider me sold. Now I just need to free up the cash. May you say?

sjmiller

Explorer
Sounds interesting! Are there any previews or excerpts available?
No previews as of yet. I am talking with the publisher right now (practically as I type this) to see what we're going to do in that regard. The minute I get more information on it I will post it here.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
WOW! I recently bought the Robin of Sherwood DVD boxed set (US released in March) and find it highly inspirational with lots of things to put into my campaign.

Chalk me up as another who really enjoyed this series when I first got to see it. I will need to check it out again sometime now that it is on DVD. :)

Bagpuss said:
If Marian had any NPC levels I would have assumed Aristocrat rather than Expert.
I was going to make her an aristocrat but then I realized that she has no combat training whatsoever. For all intents and purposes the difference between an expert and a aristocrat is the hit die and the weapon proficiencies. And it makes a lot of sense if you think about it. As the daughter of a noble, she would have been trained in several court skills and her tutors would have been top notch. Hence, expert is a better fit than aristocrat for most women of the aristocracy.

Remove ads