• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

History, Mythology, Art and RPGs

Galloglaich

First Post
I wrote a review of my friends new book, thought I would share it here I really liked it, I think anybody into Medieval history would dig this.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wayward-Apprentice-Jason-Vail/dp/1452876819]Amazon.com: The Wayward Apprentice (9781452876818): Jason Vail: Books[/ame]

I've never read an historical novel in quite this exact genre. This is Medieval Noir, a window into a world Centuries ago amid the crime and intrigue in rural 13th Century England. This is not "ye olde Medieval Kingdom" you know from Sci Fi channel films or a typical romanticized Medieval novel, it's a LOONG way from your friendly neighborhood Renaissance festival. This is a real place with a very different feel than the world we live in today, or with the cliches we know and love, at once familiar and suprisingly alien in it's detail. A place with an unusual combination of harsh laws and swift justice are carried out in French to an English speaking courtroom, yet where crime and mayhem can lurk just around the corner. A place where nobody misses Sunday mass, but men go to the public bath house to dally with 'bath girls' over a couple of beers. Where theft can get you hung, but outlaws lurk in every forest. Where a warm meal can be had in a roadside tavern, and the beggar in the street is a bitter man, once a warrior.

The protagonist, Stephen Attebrook, is a widower and a veteran soldier and nearly a cripple himself, with half his foot missing from an encounter with a Moorish warrior in Spain. Shell shocked from the death of his wife, he approaches his new job without great enthusiasm or hope. He has come into the position of assistant Coroner, which had a different meaning in 13th Century England than it does today. His job is to certify the cause of death of everyone who dies in his district, to verify the legal status, which can have serious legal and political ramifications. This is not a Medieval CSI, autopsies are unheard of in this era, and disinterrments are rare, but Stephen reluctantly performs one when a case takes an unexpected twist. Somewhat against his will, he is drawn into the dark secrets of his new home town, and eventually entangled in a lethal Political struggle which overlaps the personal dramas, lovers spats and petty jealousies of his neighbors. Hired to investigate a murder whose youthful prime suspect has a tragic past in certain respects similar to his own, it's not long before Stephen has alarmed some dangerous people and finds himself having to fight for his life. But fighting is one thing Stephen, a hardened veteran, is capable of if not eager to indulge in, and the deadly brawls which break out along the lonely roads of this place have a sense of danger and verisimilitude that not only reveals the author (who also wrote a book on Medieval knife fighting techniques) as a trained martial artist, but also has the unpredictable feel and fierce immediacy of a real street fight. Despite being maimed, Stepheen proves able to hold his own, and being a Crown officer does not prevent him from doing what is necessary to cover up the bloody results of attempts to silence him.

Like Philip Marlowe or Sam Spade, Stephen doesn't have a rigid puritanical morality, but tries to do the right thing in a world he does not expect to be fair. As we get to know the man better, we learn that beneath his humble exterior Attebrook is a man of many skills. He will need them all to survive the hornets nest he has stirred up.

I really enjoyed this novel and I suspect (I hope) we will see more of Stephen Attebrook in the future. I can easily see this turning into a series. If you want to spend a little time in a medieval world as your ancestors may have actually experienced it, I highly recommend picking this one up.

G

Wolf1066

First Post
It's really good when you find information on hew the "ordinary people" dressed and lived. So few people over the years have deemed them important enough to record and we wind up with most of our information being skewed in favour of the Noble or monied classes.

Obviously not everyone could afford to be dressed in velvet, silk or linen, but most the people recorded for posterity could...

Galloglaich

First Post
Check out this crazy East European style re-enactor combat, steel weapons, full contact

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLCLljsihzk]YouTube - Битва наций - Хотин (02.05.2010)[/ame]

Fighting to metalica
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyS4q_5r56M]YouTube - Бугурт 21х21, Битва наций, Белоруссия - Украина[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTMUrWUAnDU&feature=related]YouTube - Bohurt-Russian, Belarus, Ukrainians vs Polish knights battle[/ame]

It's a little more hard core than your friendly neighborhood SCA

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Seriously Cool! Reminds me of an event I saw in England once (except for full contact with weapons). It was basically a game of capture the flag, wearing full armor (plate and mail) and played a bit like american football (full speed tackles and dives)!

Those videos would make a great example of what melee tourneys looked like. It would work for "A Game of Thrones" fans also.

Very Cool!

:cool:

Last edited:

Votan

Explorer
I wrote a review of my friends new book, thought I would share it here I really liked it, I think anybody into Medieval history would dig this.

G

It is a pretty good book and well worth the read. I was surprised at the quality and the attention to detail made Medieval England come alive. However, I was a little unclear (given that the entire novel occurs in September 1262) why the month and year were at the top of every chapter. :)

Galloglaich

First Post
Hey glad to hear you like it. I told the author. Apparently he is doing two more in a series, I'm looking forward to reading the next ones.

G.

Galloglaich

First Post
Well I have some semi- bad news. I think this long lived thread (has it really been almost 2 years? That is hard to believe and a little bit scary) may be about to come to an end at long last.

I got in a little tiff with a moderator on another thread (about realism in RPGs, go figure) and from experience, I know those have a tendency not to go very well. I won't back down when I think I'm in the right.

So thanks to everyone who participated in the thread, I think it served it's purpose. I've enjoyed the discussions. My links below provide you a way to get in touch with me if I get banned, I'm also active on another thread on the Giants in the Playground forum which you can probably find easily enough (I have the same user name over there).

In case it's a false alarm, in the immortal words of Gilda Radner "Never Mind!"

G.

Galloglaich

First Post
found a really cool new HEMA video from Gladiatoria, demonstrating Lichtenauer tradition (15th Century Holy Roman Empire) for dagger, messer and buckler, messer, pollaxe, and longsword

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzdtyMC7ek]YouTube - Fencing with five different medieval weapons[/ame]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads