D&D 5E Hit Point Maximum and Exhaustion

aco175

Legend
I need a spell now that gives 4 levels of exhaustion, since it would deal 50% HP damage. Could be good on a high level target, but not much on a low level target.

Mass Exhaustion? :devil:

jasper

Rotten DM
I need a spell now that gives 4 levels of exhaustion, since it would deal 50% HP damage. Could be good on a high level target, but not much on a low level target.

Mass Exhaustion? :devil:
And the verbal component is ....
"Honey have you done your to do list?"

Gadget

Adventurer
I'm not sure what the confusion is here. The rules, imho, seem quite clear. If something drops your HP maximum, then that is your new HP Maximum. Your current hit points are unaffected unless they exceed the new HP maximum, in which case your current HP are now the new HP maximum. Now if whatever changed your HP Maximum also has an effect that causes HP damage, then your current HP are reduced by that amount as well.

I have thought that some of the Necromancy spells could use an effect like this to give them some thematic oomph.

Last edited:

PHB pg 196 tells you everything you need to know;

"A creature’s current hit points (usually just called hit points) can be any number from the creature’s hit point maximum down to 0. This number changes frequently as a creature takes damage or receives healing."

Exhaustion does not effect current HP. Current HP can NOT be greater than Max, so if you get to exhaustion 4, you can not have more hit points that your new max HP value. Otherwise an uninjured person who gets to Exh 4 would still have 100 HP (per the example).

CapnZapp

Legend
About the only tidbits not specifically called out so far:
1) are effects to "max hp" temporary?
1a) Do you keep track of "original max hp" separately from "current max hp"? If so, what specific rules passages do you base this on? (For the record, I believe you must keep track of this, even though the rules try their best not to admit it)
2) What happens to current hp when max hp is later raised back up? (I believe this doesn't change current hp)
3) as a kind of 1+2) Can you raise your current hp above your original max hp?

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
About the only tidbits not specifically called out so far:
1) are effects to "max hp" temporary?
1a) Do you keep track of "original max hp" separately from "current max hp"? If so, what specific rules passages do you base this on? (For the record, I believe you must keep track of this, even though the rules try their best not to admit it)
2) What happens to current hp when max hp is later raised back up? (I believe this doesn't change current hp)
3) as a kind of 1+2) Can you raise your current hp above your original max hp?

1) The effect that reduces "max hp" will specify the duration or action required to end. If no duration or action is specified, the effect would theoretically be permanent.
1a) Yes. There are no rules passages that tell you to do this. It is a task implicit in the nature of max hp reduction effect with limited duration. If you do not remember your original hp maximum, you cannot return to it once the effect has ended. I submit that any player that doesn't keep track should be forced to use the new, reduced total.
2) Nothing. It stays at its current hp level. If the effect or rule doesn't tell you to change your current hp total, you don't change your current hp total.
3) Absolutely. You certainly increase it by gaining a level or taking the Tough feat. Are there other methods? Sure. Magic fountains. Boons from the gods. Artifacts. Surviving Toughy MacRugged's Survival Training Course. Whatever the DM wants to put in the campaign. There is no prohibition against it.

Are there other methods? Sure. Magic fountains. Boons from the gods. Artifacts. Surviving Toughy MacRugged's Survival Training Course. Whatever the DM wants to put in the campaign. There is no prohibition against it.
You could just use an Amulet of Health.

"If your Constitution modifier changes, your hit point maximum changes as well [...]" PHB p. 177

Remove ads