• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit points: High side, average, straight roll, what?

What method for increasing HP do you favor?

• Roll high-side

Votes: 34 14.8%
  • Take the average

Votes: 35 15.3%
  • Just roll and take what you get

Votes: 99 43.2%
  • Other (please explain, as always)

Votes: 61 26.6%

Sfounder

First Post
Variation

We essentially use the High side roll. I take the 1/2 mark, (2,4,5,6) and add a roll to it (d2,d4,d5,d6) and take the sum.

Nightchill

Explorer
My players reroll their hit points each level (as suggested in an older thread), counting level 1 as the maximum as always, keeping the higher of the new roll or the previous hitpoint total. There haven't been any large changes in hitpoints per level, it nicely solves the problem of fighters rolling consecutive 1s over a few levels, and it keeps all players not far above the average (since if they rolled exceptionally well one level, they likely won't beat it in the next, even with the extra HD).

mkletch

First Post
We roll, and the DM rolls secretly. If you are not happy with your roll, you can take the DM's, though it could be the same or worse. Think of it as a blind "Luck domain" kind of thing.

-Fletch!

Ryltar

First Post
Zappo said:
You mean that there's people who don't do this? What if I have a -2 Con and roll a 1, do I actually go down? :confused:

Nah, but some DMs would (house)rule that in the case you mentioned above, you would get zero additional hp.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Here's the method I developed for my current, high-powered campaign. The player rolls two or more dice at each level gain, based on what kind of die his character gets at that level.

d12 = d12, d10, d8, take highest, minimum of 6
d10 = d10, d8, d6, take highest, minimum of 5
d8 = d8, d6, take highest, minimum of 4
d6 = d6, d4, take highest, minimum of 3
d4 = d4, d3, take highest, minimum of 2

I did an Excel spreadsheet of this once to calculate the average for each die type given the unusual rolls. I think it came out to pretty close to 75% of the value of the die in each case.

My players are pretty much all into power-gaming, so I gave them 40-points to buy their characters and use higher-than-average hit points. Then again, all the monsters have the elite array (or better), and they all use the same system for hit points.

Dave

Legildur

First Post
Max at first level, and then Old One's and Darklone's method after that (take your roll or blind DM's roll).

This seems to work well for us.

Constitution seen as very important stat in our games. TPK aren't unknown and hit points seen as crucial (as well as decent saves against poison, level loss, or other 'save or die' effects).

Many characters put 2nd highest stat into Con. We even have a gnome Necromancer with an 18 Con.

Seems to me that larger hit die characters are disadvantaged by average rolls as lost possibilities for more (valuable) hit points, and that it runs against the grain of D&D of averaging rolls and bell curves for ability stats.

Maybe base hit points at each level should be average of 3 hit die rolls (rounded down of course)?

With 2nd edition, it was always a 50% or better roll, but 3E changed that to a "you take what you roll." I allow 1 re-roll, but you are stuck with what you get on the second try, and can't choose between the two (this mostly helps when you roll a 1 the first time; can't get worse than that!)

A fun superstition among my long time players is: let the DM roll, I will (supposedly) always get a better result for hit dice than they will. Same thing applies with skill roll advancements in Call of Cthulhu (BRP version!).

BryonD

Hero
Joshua Dyal said:
Roll twice, take the better of the two numbers. While I like the rolling, rather than just taking an average, hit points are something that stays with you for a long time, so I don't like it to rest on the chance of a single roll.

Same reasoning for me.

I use roll once and take 1/2 max or die result, whichever is higher.

Kalendraf

Explorer
In my main group, we've used the method of rolling 2 dice and taking the better number. At first I was a bit leary that this might be too good, but since seeing it in action, it's working well. It by no means guarantees high hit points either. The rogue averaged about 3 points per level for a few levels, managing to roll snake eyes at one level. Also, the cleric has had a few bad levels get a 1,2 combo and a 1,3 combo IIRC. But overall, the affect of rolling twice method seems to be helping somewhat, and avoiding the problem of a gimped character.

Im my other group, they've just used the single dice method, but have been blessed with some lucky rolls so most everyone is doing fine for their HPs. For example, the 9th level sorceress is only 3 points short of max. With her con bonus, she's got more HPs than the rogue and bard both of whom are just slightly above average HPs.

Remove ads