• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit points: High side, average, straight roll, what?

What method for increasing HP do you favor?

• Roll high-side

Votes: 34 14.8%
  • Take the average

Votes: 35 15.3%
  • Just roll and take what you get

Votes: 99 43.2%
  • Other (please explain, as always)

Votes: 61 26.6%

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I'm going to use 3/4 max in my new game. It's like rolling high-sides without the weird randomness. Incidentally, I used 3/4 max wealth for 1st level. Worked really well so far!

-blarg

BASTON!!!

First Post
First level full.

And for the other levels, the player as the possibility to re-roll any dice one more time if they wish but they take the result even if it's lower.

Personnaly, i like re-rolling when it's under the average the first time. It almost always give me a better result.

BASTON!!! :p

Epametheus

First Post
I'm not sure why I'm suddenly wondering about this, but I am.

My group did "take the average or do a straight roll" for our first 3E game right when it came out, and we've been doing "roll high-side" for HP ever since then.

What about the rest of you?

Edit: "Roll high-side" would be rerolling until you get one of the higher numbers on a die -- 3 & 4 on a d4, 4-6 on a d6, 5-8 on a d8, 6-10 on a d10, and 7-12 on a d12.

We do that for the PCs, and we also do that for important NPCs. Generics don't get to have high-side HP.

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
As a DM, I like a little more margin for error in my future TPK giblets PCs: in our current campaign, it's roll and take 1/2 or what you rolled, whichever is higher.

I'm not a big fan of rolling for HP in general (same goes for stats), but this method has worked pretty well so far.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
HP,

Roll em. Re roll ones and twos. Don't worry about high or low. But then you need a lot HP in my games...usually.

Roll twice, take the better of the two numbers. While I like the rolling, rather than just taking an average, hit points are something that stays with you for a long time, so I don't like it to rest on the chance of a single roll.

kamosa

Explorer
Our group has been rolling against GM for hit points for close to 20 years now. For those unfamilar, the GM and the player each roll a die and the player gets the better of the two rolls. Tends to pump up hit points, especially for the fighter types, but it keeps you from creating the really lame wizard or rogue because they rolled a couple 1's along the way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads