D&D (2024) Hit Points: the change I would like to see

I'm aware. Echoing King Theoden's words, I will continue to call it 6e nonetheless.
6e implies a more radical change where something like your proposal could be entertained. However, that is not what we are getting next year, and we all know that, so that makes your proposal nonsense.

So do we discuss your nonsensical proposal for the 5e revision coming next year; or, your sensible proposal for a hypothetical future version of the game coming at some future unknown time?

Last edited:

Th
Let's just say 'not the truth' then.
You can’t have a “truth” about a future event, only a past or present one.

WotC can truthfully tell us (or lie about it to) that their plan, aka goal, is for 5e to be evergreen. That doesn’t mean plans will not change. However, if things do change, that doesn’t make the plan a lie. It just means they couldn’t achieve their goal.

clearstream

(He, Him)
6e implies a more radical change where something like your proposal could be entertained. However, that is not what we are getting next year, and we all know that, so that makes your proposal nonsense?

So do we discuss your nonsensical proposal for the 5e revision coming next year; or, your sensible proposal for a hypothetical future version of the game coming at some future unknown time.
I see the 1D&D project as the evolution of D&D product to D&D service. This would then be the last edition of D&D (no 6e, 7e etc). The coming change is unlike the step from 3e to 3.5e in that respect.

In saying "6e" I am grasping the nettle of this change. If D&D is to become a service, I would rather it get into its bones a more radical update to HP than would be at all likely if framed as say 5.5e. And then go on from there.

I see the 1D&D project as the evolution of D&D product to D&D service. This would then be the last edition of D&D (no 6e, 7e etc). The coming change is unlike the step from 3e to 3.5e in that respect.

In saying "6e" I am grasping the nettle of this change. If D&D is to become a service, I would rather it get into its bones a more radical update to HP than would be at all likely if framed as say 5.5e. And then go on from there.
So a theoretical future edition then. This is obviously the wrong forum for that.

However, regarding your idea: I prefer our current house rule. We have hit points and wounds points. Hit points and HD a pretty much as is (though we are revising them for our next campaign), and the you take damage to wound points at 0 HP and criticals. Wound point damage is fixed and based on size (and strength and con). Wound damage (but not hit points) is mitigated be armor DR

clearstream

(He, Him)
So a theoretical future edition then. This is obviously the wrong forum for that.
That's a misreading of my post. I am saying that if it is to happen at all, it will ideally happen in the coming revision.

However, regarding your idea: I prefer our current house rule. We have hit points and wounds points. Hit points and HD a pretty much as is (though we are revising them for our next campaign), and the you take damage to wound points at 0 HP and criticals. Wound point damage is fixed and based on size (and strength and con). Wound damage (but not hit points) is mitigated be armor DR
So wounds are kind of a secondary HP? Also incapacitating if you drop to zero?

That's a misreading of my post. I am saying that if it is to happen at all, it will ideally happen in the coming revision.
I disagree. If your idea to happen it will come in some future edition when they change course from the current evergreen idea (IMO of course)
So wounds are kind of a secondary HP? Also incapacitating if you drop to zero?
Yes, but you only have like 8-10 max. Dead at 0 wound points

clearstream

(He, Him)
I disagree. If your idea to happen it will come in some future edition when they change course from the current evergreen idea (IMO of course)
Possibly so. As I had hoped to convey, I am adopting an idealistic position on it :)

Yes, but you only have like 8-10 max. Dead at 0 wound points
That makes sense. You list crits and taking hits below 0 as decrementing wound totals. Does that mean that at 0 with normal HP, a character can fight on? Are wound points healable like normal points?

I do feel like HP totals are too high and too similar among PCs. I think having fewer HD and more impact from Con and size at level 1 only could help.

I saw here on ENworld another idea I liked a while ago: rerolling your HP after each long rest so your maximum changes each day and the variability of the HD comes into play without creating a permanant advantage or liability.
The second you make the gap wider, people will want their low hit point character to have just as many as the high hit point character. Then, WotC will try a corrective status, and suddenly everyone will be even closer together. ;)

Remove ads