• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Hive Mind Evil?

Zardnaar

Legend
If a human society was farming other humans for food, you'd call them evil, so the same applies to the Insects.

Unless the insects lacked free will (i.e. they were mindless beasts) in which case they would be unaligned.

Hiveminds not farming themselves though. They're farming or hunting a different species.

Zardnaar

Legend
Ok, so if the local Elves started farming the local Humans for food. It's clearly evil!

Completly different species though and elves and humans can interbreed.

They're not doing it because they're cruel,. It's because they're hungry and perceive the humans as a threat or an intelligent plague of locusts.

The hive is self aware and can and will regulate their numbers. Logically to them they view humans much like humans view locusts.

Part of the idea is a morality question for the players around consumption and the environment I suppose.

Zardnaar

Legend
And if humans started farming pigs for food that would clearly be evil!

I'm not vegetarian but yeah the morality system is from our point of view.

The hivemind views humans as vermin basically that produce no useful byproducts and destroy the environment.

Hivemind can self regulate, humans can't.

Remove ads