D&D General Hive Mind Evil?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
(y) Jeffery Dahmer likes this

Jeffery Dahmer was convicted as a serial killer; his crime was unjustifiably killing people - so does a PCs killing Goblins also count as Evil?

If a Human PC kills a goblin and then eats it does that count as Evil?

What if the PC kills a Noble Stag ( and does it taste like venison or chicken)?

Jeffery Dahmer was convicted as a serial killer; his crime was unjustifiably killing people - so does a PCs killing Goblins also count as Evil?

If a Human PC kills a goblin and then eats it does that count as Evil?

What if the PC kills a Noble Stag ( and does it taste like venison or chicken)?

If a Human kills a Goblin (of any alignment) in genuine self defence or the defence of others, and in a proportionate manner, it's not an evil act. Just like if a Police officer or Solider does so in genuine self defence it's not an evil act. The race of victim does not matter.

If the Human just walked up to a Goblin and murdered it in cold blood, yes, that's an evil act.

If you saw a person murder a person you would consider that killing evil. If you saw a Police officer draw his gun on an armed suspect about to murder someone else (or the officer) you would not consider that killing by the police officer evil.

It's not hard to figure it out, but neckbeards wanna make it so.

aco175

Legend
I cast speak with corn. The DM said that the corn does not wish to be eaten and its rights are as valid as yours. I guess I have to starve or get over it. This is one of the problems with having so many races of humanoids and monsters in the game. Most would have been wiped out over the ages when they clashed over resources.

You can go to war over the ants attacking you or you can become food. It is not a good or evil thing at that point.

keynup

Explorer
There's also the difference between the morals of modern society and a medieval fantasy.
Say some one steals from you and gets away. If you find them later do you kill them? Modern has more option available so killing would be evil. In medieval the only practical choice might be to kill them.

Evil partly depends on motive and perspective.
If 2 humans are walking past each other and one suddenly attacks and leaves the other broken and bleeding just for getting too close, we'd usually consider that evil. Even the one who did the attacked might call it evil.
If a human walks too close to a bear and gets attacked, who would call that evil?

Zardnaar

Legend
That's not what makes Dahmer evil! He murdered and tortured (and cannibalised) other people!

Are we genuinely arguing if Jeffery Dahmer would be considered evil in DnD?

I mean come on.

He's evil by our standards.

What I'm talking about is a completely different species treating us the same way that we treat others species.

They don't torture us to much except in the act of the hunt might not be the most painless. P

What if the hivemind doesn't speak and communicates telepathically? And they can't communicate with us as they can't talk? Our speech to them is the equivalent of bleating from a sheep to them. Sheep bleating doesn't save them from the dinner table.

Thri Kreen on Athas ate sentients and weren't regarded as evil because of it. They liked elves.

To them we're just self propelled monkey bacon parasites as let's face it we don't serve any ecological niche.

And they treat us the same way we treat animals. Hell they might be Druids and think that in addition to food they need to cull our numbers.

Our cities could even be nature reserves. Once they get to a certain size nom nom nom.

If they have ancestral memory/semi immortal they would remember us being hunter gatherers and could compare that to the ecological impact we had once we settled down.

Even as hunter gatherers we wiped out a few species. As I said treat us the same as we treat animals irl.

Last edited:

Remove ads