• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hokuto no Hunter's Quarry

Aaron

First Post
If you can make multiple attacks in a round, you decide
which attack to apply the extra damage to after all the
attacks are rolled.

Scenario 1:

So, what happens if my Ranger attacks twice the same fighter, and the fighter uses Last Ditch Evasion on the last attack?

By the quoted rule I could declare my Hunter's Quarry damage after the fighter declared to avoid entirely the last attack damage.

In other words:

Step 1: Ranger attacks, hits, deals damage and sees the fighter alive and kicking.

Step 2: Ranger attacks, and sees that his last attack did nothing to the fighter.

Step 3: Hunter's Quarry damage is assigned to the first attack, and the fighter drops to 0 hps.

Sounds like "You are already dead". Very Hokuto-no-Ken style.

Scenario 2:

There are an orc and a drow adjacent to my ranger.

My ranger attacks the orc, and he shifts away thanks to one of his powers.

I spend an action point to designate the drow as my quarry, and my second attack hits.

By the quoted rule I could declare my Hunter's Quarry damage after the orc moved away; can I assign the extra damage to the orc?

Last edited:

StormCrow42

Explorer
Designating your quarry takes a minor action, so there is no way to switch your quarry in the middle of your standard action attack. The reason for waiting to declare which attack does the hunter's quarry damage is so you can assign it to the attack that you critted with (therefore maximizing it's damage).

Zurai

First Post
pogminky said:
Is Quarry dam maxed on a crit?
Yes. The only damage that is NOT maximized on a crit is damage that occurs solely because it is a crit (High Crit weapons, Devastating Critical feat, and magical weapon critical damage).

StormCrow42

Explorer
pogminky said:
Is Quarry dam maxed on a crit?

All damage not specifically caused by the crit (such as high crit and magic weapon crit damage) is maximized. That includes sneak attack, hunter's quarry, and warlock curse damage.

Aaron

First Post
StormCrow42 said:
Designating your quarry takes a minor action, so there is no way to switch your quarry in the middle of your standard action attack. The reason for waiting to declare which attack does the hunter's quarry damage is so you can assign it to the attack that you critted with (therefore maximizing it's damage).
Sorry, my bad, I changed the scenario to better show my issue.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
StormCrow42 said:
All damage not specifically caused by the crit (such as high crit and magic weapon crit damage) is maximized. That includes sneak attack, hunter's quarry, and warlock curse damage.

Oi, good to know... we did that one wrong then (Crit with Sneak Attack in that case). :)

As for the question at hand... It would make sense, if you make both attacks before the target decides what kind of reactions are being used... so you do not make one attack completely, but make both before damage is being applied. Then the target would know which attack has the extra damage and would try to avoid that one, of course.

Bye
Thanee

Danceofmasks

First Post
Aaron said:
Sorry, my bad, I changed the scenario to better show my issue.

Erm .. I don't think scenario 2 is the optimum way to use your action point, or to break the hunter's quarry mechanic, for that matter.

how about,

scenario 3:

You use twin strike on a goblin, hitting once and missing once.
The goblin uses goblin tactics to shift away.
(Your action resolved, you can now designate a new quarry, but you don't .. for scenario's sake)
Now you spend an action point to get another standard action.
And use your move action to walk another 6 squares away from the goblin, to get into melee with a drow.
You use your extra standard action to beat up the drow.
Now you apply your hunter's quarry bonus to the goblin, and it dies.

Aaron

First Post
Danceofmasks said:
Erm .. I don't think scenario 2 is the optimum way to use your action point, or to break the hunter's quarry mechanic, for that matter.

how about,

scenario 3:

You use twin strike on a goblin, hitting once and missing once.
The goblin uses goblin tactics to shift away.
(Your action resolved, you can now designate a new quarry, but you don't .. for scenario's sake)
Now you spend an action point to get another standard action.
And use your move action to walk another 6 squares away from the goblin, to get into melee with a drow.
You use your extra standard action to beat up the drow.
Now you apply your hunter's quarry bonus to the goblin, and it dies.
Good.

So, how would you rule it?

The Hokuto no Ken effect would apply?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads