• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hold the line and side step

Alduk

First Post
Scharlata said:
I think that this must be possible because a (readíed) action or a feat that intercedes with the action of another character does not end the action (in this case the charge attack). It merely happens before the fullfillment of the (readied) action. If, for example, a spellcaster is attacked via a readied action and makes the concentration check, she casts the spell. So, why would the sidestep allow to end the charge?

No no, it's not a matter of the attack interrupting the charge at all; the problem here is, the charger must stop and attack as soon as he is in range of the target. But as soon as he does that, the Sidestep kicks in, and the target suddenly isn't there anymore. The charger's action is already expended, and the target isn't in range anymore; that kind of makes it difficult to hit with the attack, but it's not impeded in any other way. ;)

daTim

At least the situation was amusing; I'll keep the idea of an invisible Longspear-wielder, Hold the Line Tactical Defender right by the NPC wizard for the next time I have a charge-happy character, if you don't mind. That's just plain evil. Me likes. :)

Scharlata

First Post
Alduk said:
No no, it's not a matter of the attack interrupting the charge at all; the problem here is, the charger must stop and attack as soon as he is in range of the target. But as soon as he does that, the Sidestep kicks in, and the target suddenly isn't there anymore. The charger's action is already expended, and the target isn't in range anymore; that kind of makes it difficult to hit with the attack, but it's not impeded in any other way. ;) [...]

Hi!

What I meant was that the charge is neither interrupted by an attack nor by the sidestep. Since this was my premise my intention was to write that the charge is not ended before resolving the charge attack itself. :)

Kind regards

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads