D&D General Holding non-Paladins to their class vows

Have you ever disciplined or taken away powers from a character for not following their devotions?

• Yes, but it was really a one-off situtation.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I will do it for clerics.

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • I will do it for druids.

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • I will do it for monks.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I will do it for warlocks.

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • I will do it for paladins. (Just here for a baseline to compare.)

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • I never discipline characters for not following their class devotion.

Votes: 11 28.9%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In the recent discussions about Paladins and their oaths, @Oofta pointed out correctly that there are many other devotional classes. How often do as a DM do you take players of other classes to task for not following their devotions, up to and including taking features or spells from them until they atone?

Oofta

Legend
I'd be surprised if anyone took away features from a divine class or warlock, I've only had to deal with a paladin violating their oath once over many years of play.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I have done it but with a lighter hand. If your a cleric of the God of Strife and War and you promote peace or Follow the Goddess of peace and butcher whatever crosses your path.....you Deity isn't going to stay happy with you. That said"It's a game". I give the players a lot of leeway and when it does come time to really start to mess with class abilities I try and give them choices and opportunities.

Warlocks however, I mess with freely. Warlock in my games comes with a lot of extra bossing around for most patrons. They require stuff on a regular bases....shrug.

Celebrim

Legend
In the recent discussions about Paladins and their oaths, @Oofta pointed out correctly that there are many other devotional classes. How often do as a DM do you take players of other classes to task for not following their devotions, up to and including taking features or spells from them until they atone?

In my most recent campaign, which at this point has spanned like a decade, it is not the 'Paladin' that has had a hard time keeping up with their oaths and maintaining their moral purity. The class that has most often found itself in need to atone for failings is the Shaman, a class based off of the Green Ronin Shaman from their 'Shaman's Handbook'. This is because the Shaman's oath is based more on a letter of the law agreement not to violate specific taboos, and accidental violation of those taboos is reasonably common, leading to regular needs to apologize to the spirits and atone.

In general, I can't recall ever having a Paladin willfully violate an oath in any game I ran or was a player in, nor can I recall a cleric willfully violating the tenants of their deity. Fundamentally, it's not a problem I suspect if the following are true:

a) The player is sincerely committed to playing out the strictures of his chosen character, and doesn't in fact view those strictures as some sort of disadvantage on the class to avoid and metagame his way around. If the player sees the RP requirements of the class as some sort of disadvantage, then I'd strongly discourage the player from playing the class.
b) The DM is not actively trying to put the paladin in no win, gotcha situations. It's quite possible that a Paladin could find himself in a situation where the only way he could keep the code is death, but if you aren't actually trying to contrive that situation IME it would rarely come up and the sort of player that can play the class well would probably see it as a "good death". However, I have heard of GMs that so dislike the very notion of Paladins, that they play with a sort of "The GM is Satan" stance, where they endeavor to prove that good is stupid, evil is smart, that life is pain, that the only hope is to be ruthless, and that it's perfectly realistic for anyone trying to be good to be just smashed by the reality of the impossibility of good. I know that these GMs are out there because I occasionally get players that are refugees from those tables, who expect me to essentially be a jerk and metagame against them at every opportunity, and the only way to be successful while playing D&D is to be a ruthless bastard that the DM can't get any sort of edge on.

But if the DM is not trying to prove anything, and the player is sincerely trying to live up to the code and do the right thing, I think table issues around loss of paladin status will be vanishingly rare.

Oofta

Legend
There is nothing more satisfying than watching a metal-clad Druid explode.

I love the smell of organic locally sourced napalm in the morning.

images.jpg

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I'd be surprised if anyone took away features from a divine class or warlock, I've only had to deal with a paladin violating their oath once over many years of play.

Well, the poll says otherwise for now!

Back in 2nd Edition I saw Druids losing abilities for violations.

I've never taken away Druid abilities, but I've had situations where Clerics and Warlock players IC acted against the gods/patrons who they made their pact with originally.

Though for Warlocks, I've never "taken away" abilities, but I have said that their patron isn't teaching them anything new until they get right with them in whatever way.

Clerics for me are bigger than Paladins even for making sure that their actions are in alignment with their deities portfolio/alignment/dogma. There are a plethora of gods to choose from, find one who fits the character concept and do it. It is surprising how often players just ignore the whole "I get my powers from a god and they have ideas about ways to act" thing in games I've been in.

If not, they lose some things.... like Channel Divinity. Can't do that if you and your Divinity aren't on the same page in my book. Also Divine Intervention, and higher-level spells.

"Punishment" usually starts off small (maybe 1 channel divinity/day decreased, and escalates if the player/PC either continues down their path or takes no action to ask "why is this happening to me [Insert X god here]?" It all depends on the PC's level, the degree of their "transgression" against their god, etc.

In my games, there is no "following a philosophy" to gain divine power. You have to worship a deity. I allow for some NPC's who claim to follow no gods to have divine powers, but they are definitely getting their powers from an evil deity or fiend for some nefarious purpose!

There are also powers and other faiths who like to pounce on high-level clerics or paladins who are wavering in their faith or devotion, to try to lure them to their side. Leads to some fun RP potentials.

Blue

@Celebrim , thanks for the information about the Shaman and their taboos. As 3rd party I didn't have a poll option for it, but it's interesting to see where it does come into play. One of the points I brought up in the the paladin discussison was about how having defined Oaths vs. vague fluff descriptions was part of what made the paladin more "open" to violations. Your example with the shaman's taboos is a great example of that.

I'd like to leave the paladin part of the discussion in the (multiple) threads) discussing that and not pull this thread into paladin-oaths as well, so I'm not going to comment on that here.

Blue

There are also powers and other faiths who like to pounce on high-level clerics or paladins who are wavering in their faith or devotion, to try to lure them to their side. Leads to some fun RP potentials.

I just have the picture of a failing mid-level paladin accepting the offer of one of the Powers and the player (with DM approval) relevelling them as a warlock, perhaps keeping the starting 1-2 levels of paladin (the pre-Oath levels).

(In superhero RPG terms my group would call this a "radiation accident", where someone's powers get a full rewrite, but there's no fantasy trope equivalent coming to mind.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases