• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Holdover rules from 1e/2e

diaglo

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
I'm surprised anyone used this rule even in AD&D1.

Quasqueton
i used it in Chainmail.
still use it for OD&D.

and did when we converted to 1edADnD.

edit: although, it was Supplement I Greyhawk that had the "official" rules for its inclusion.

Last edited:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I don't have any holdover rules from earlier editions. I may still use some racial or monster concepts from 1 and 2E, but nothing beyond that.

Kane

dcollins

Explorer
The 3.0 DMG Variant: 1st-Level Multiclass Characters, simulating initial AD&D multiclassing.

Constitution (now Fortitude) checks to survive raise dead, polymorph, or stone to flesh effects.

Gygax's asserted AD&D falling rule with cumulative damage (some debate on this, but asserted in AD&D Unearthed Arcana that that's what the rule was supposed to be). I use this for environmental effects instead of the "massive damage" rule.

For new players with Wizards, I'd use the 1st Ed. starting spellbook tables, instead of trying to communicate all the options for starting spells to the new player.

Last edited:

werk

First Post
Lots of flavor, very little text.

I don't think that text that is unchanged (like longsword damage) counts, as it is in the 3e rules now.

Quasqueton

First Post
For new players with Wizards, I'd use the 1st Ed. starting spellbook tables, instead of trying to communicate all the options for starting spells to the new player.
What's complicated about "all the cantrips, and two 1st-level spells"?

Quasqueton

Arnwyn

First Post
Michael Morris said:
The questions is are there any rules from 1e or 2e AD&D that you still use in 3e?
Tons. However, I'm not going to get into them here - suffice it to say that they'd all be considered anathema to ENWorlders, and especially deadly poison to those who like to hang out in the Rules Forum. ;) These house rules work for us, though.

Quasqueton said:
What's complicated about "all the cantrips, and two 1st-level spells"?

Quasqueton

Two plus Int bonus 1st-level spells, chosen from this book, and that book, and maybe the other one ... And what does this spell do? Or that one?

Etc.

It can be complicated for someone who's never played a wizard before.

VirgilCaine

First Post
edemaitre said:
I still use some of the "Dragon" magazine critical hit tables, training rules, and the Comliness score from earlier editions of "Dungeons and Dragons." I try not to confuse combat or spell-related rules (fortunately, some of the guys in my current group are more up to date on those things than I am).

As for Comliness, I use it to measure attractiveness to other members of a species/subrace, while Charisma is for willpower, leadership ability, and personality across races. I also miss the relative simplicity of kits over prestige classes, and the AD&D2 "Compleat" series of books did a better job of summarizing races and classes better than most D&D3.5/D20 references, IMHO...

A separate appearance stat is something I definitely want as a rule. It's messy and annoying to have two disparate attributes combined in one stat.

TheGogmagog

First Post
I used the 2e wild mage, and would allow the 'Spells and Magic' spell point systems if I had a player interested in playing a variant caster. The wild mage d100 results would be replaced by net book of wild surges once they occured. So the second time they rolled 72, something quite different would occur.

Remove ads