• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Holdover rules from 1e/2e

Michael Morris

First Post
This is in the grey area between house rules and official, but since the subject is rules that were printed and official at one time I'll start here and let the mods move it if they see fit.

The questions is are there any rules from 1e or 2e AD&D that you still use in 3e?

Personally, I still use the 2e DMG's system for building random encounter tables, the one requiring a d12 and d8 be rolled to generate a number between 2-20. I've also used the bardic knowledge rule from the 2e bard book to see what a bard knows about a magic item through lore.

Neither of these bother my players since they don't really know about them - they are both a function of how I conduct the game and the rolls occur behind the screen.

BvS

First Post
I still use THAC0 :lol:

But seriously... my last DM used training rules similar to those in 2nd Ed. for level advancement. I've also toyed with the idea of making Haste and Timestop (especially Timestop) age the caster.

just__al

First Post
Michael Morris said:
This is in the grey area between house rules and official, but since the subject is rules that were printed and official at one time I'll start here and let the mods move it if they see fit.

The questions is are there any rules from 1e or 2e AD&D that you still use in 3e?

Personally, I still use the 2e DMG's system for building random encounter tables, the one requiring a d12 and d8 be rolled to generate a number between 2-20. I've also used the bardic knowledge rule from the 2e bard book to see what a bard knows about a magic item through lore.

Neither of these bother my players since they don't really know about them - they are both a function of how I conduct the game and the rolls occur behind the screen.

I keep finding myself using rules that haven't carried over without deliberately choosing the old rule over the new rule. Not a good thing because I really don't like departing from RAW without deliberate forethought. I don't have time to playtest everything, I leave that to the game designers as much as possible.

I do have my very few house rules, but I put a lot of thought into using them, and most, but not all of them were approved by the players before they were added into the mix.

edemaitre

Explorer
Holdover 1e/AD&D2 rules in D&D3.5/D20 games

I still use some of the "Dragon" magazine critical hit tables, training rules, and the Comliness score from earlier editions of "Dungeons and Dragons." I try not to confuse combat or spell-related rules (fortunately, some of the guys in my current group are more up to date on those things than I am).

As for Comliness, I use it to measure attractiveness to other members of a species/subrace, while Charisma is for willpower, leadership ability, and personality across races. I also miss the relative simplicity of kits over prestige classes, and the AD&D2 "Compleat" series of books did a better job of summarizing races and classes better than most D&D3.5/D20 references, IMHO...

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Not so much rules that we use as it hasn't come up yet but a rule that seems to have just managed to crawl into 3e........

Disruption weapons restricted to bludgeoning!!!!!????!?!?!???

WHY DAGNABIT!!!!??!??!?!??!

Remove ads