D&D 4E Holy Water in 4e?

UltimaGabe

First Post
Simple question. Does Holy Water exist in 4e? If so, what does it do?

This was inspired by a similar thread (one about potions that help against conditions). During Keep on the Shadowfell, the players learned that they would very soon be fighting undead, and, while in town, one played (very justifiedly) asked if there was any holy water to buy.

Needless to say, I was a little stumped, because if such a thing existed, why would it not be in the PHB? And if it doesn't exist, why not? It's such a staple for any kind of fantasy setting involving undead.

Can anyone shed some light on the issue? Preferably sunlight, as it hurts vampires?

Mika

First Post
Divine Power has a first level ritual (Religion based) for creating holy water. If you don't have that book, you can find holy water and the ritual for creating it in the Compendium.

MrMyth

First Post
In effect, it is much like many of the alchemical items found in the Adventurer's Vault. In this case, it is a short ranged attack with a preset attack bonus (based on the item level) that does some radiant damage to undead and demons.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
It's a series of magic items (going from level 1 to level 26) that you can find in Divine Power.

Personally, I don't care much for high level Holy Water. It's a useful thing for low-level adventurers, but high-level heroes should have better things to do with their actions in a fight against undead than hurling vials of Holy Water.

So in my campaign I've kept the Holy Water I devised when I couldn't find it in PHB. It can be thrown as a ranged attack, 3/6, Dex vs. Reflex, on a hit it does 0 radiant damage and ongoing 0 radiant damage (save ends) to the target.

That works for me.

UltimaGabe

First Post
So in my campaign I've kept the Holy Water I devised when I couldn't find it in PHB. It can be thrown as a ranged attack, 3/6, Dex vs. Reflex, on a hit it does 0 radiant damage and ongoing 0 radiant damage (save ends) to the target.

That works for me.

Wow. At first, I read this, and was like, "Uh, dude? Is that a typo or what?"

And then, I was like, "Oh, I get it."

And THEN, I was like, "Holy CRAP, that's awesome!"

Good job. I just might be using this.

Mengu

First Post
Personally, I don't care much for high level Holy Water. It's a useful thing for low-level adventurers, but high-level heroes should have better things to do with their actions in a fight against undead than hurling vials of Holy Water.

A minor action is not that costly for all characters, especially for those already with quickdraw. Considering a fighter can even mark with that minor action attack, it really isn't a bad option.

What kind of action is it to throw, guessing minor? What level? And how much does this item cost?

I like the concept, not sure I like the Dex vs Reflex (maybe you actually do Dex+3/6/9?). Either way, I don't see a particular reason why paladins and clerics need to suffer.

And depending on the details, I'm not yet convinced this would be better than the Holy Water in DP. The 1d10/2d10/3d10 "damage now" seems better than the 5/10/15 ongoing damage later.

UltimaGabe

First Post
I like the concept, not sure I like the Dex vs Reflex (maybe you actually do Dex+3/6/9?). Either way, I don't see a particular reason why paladins and clerics need to suffer.

Because it's a ranged attack with a thrown weapon. I don't see why Paladins and Clerics (who will likely have their own, much more powerful Radiant powers) would even use Holy Water.

firesnakearies

Explorer
I'd have it do something awesome like remove regeneration and insubstantial, from undead, demons, and devils (save ends, with an increasing save penalty at higher levels of water). And maybe add some radiant vulnerability, depending on the level of the holy water. Something you'd use in specific, important situations, worth spending money to use a consumable, rather than just another source of damage (when you've already got powers that do damage for free).

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
A minor action is not that costly for all characters, especially for those already with quickdraw. Considering a fighter can even mark with that minor action attack, it really isn't a bad option.
I know that, but this minor action holy weapon just rubs me the wrong way. So throwing an axe is a standard action, but hurling a vial is a minor action? Why? Call me old-school, but throwing something - vial, axe, mug of ale, whatever - should be the same action. Also, I don't see why higher level vials are easier to hit with.

What kind of action is it to throw, guessing minor? What level? And how much does this item cost?
Standard action. No level at all. Can't remember the cost (and to lazy to go look it up right now), but something like 25 gp maybe.

Suffer? Throwing things in an accurate way sounds like Dex to me. If your paladin or cleric has low Dex, let the rouge throw the Holy Water and do something better yourself.

And depending on the details, I'm not yet convinced this would be better than the Holy Water in DP. The 1d10/2d10/3d10 "damage now" seems better than the 5/10/15 ongoing damage later.
It's probably not better at all. It just feels better for me. A subjective thing.

Dannager

First Post
This is a really minor nitpick, but technically vulnerability doesn't kick in unless the target actually takes damage. Dealing 0 radiant damage does not actually result in the target taking damage, so the target's vulnerability to radiant damage would not be applied (the same goes for the ongoing effect).

I would word it thus: "On a hit, the target takes damage equal to its radiant vulnerability, takes ongoing damage equal to its radiant vulnerability (save ends), and suffers any other effects that would result from the target taking radiant damage."

Note that the above wording specifically does not deal radiant damage (which avoids the radiant vulnerability kicking in twice) but still allows the holy water to do things like shutting down undead regeneration.

Remove ads