• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Home Play DT and Renown Awards

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I don't believe there is Reknown in the published adventures. Not sure on downtime. They might know more specifics over on the actual Adventure League forum, though.

the Jester

Legend
I'm not currently, and haven't yet, running any of the 5e published adventures. However, downtime and renown are big features in my game. I have a campaign setting where one beleaguered city is all that remains of civilization. It's full of factions with major conflicts simmering just below an open boil, and eventually, the pcs will probably take sides on some of the major issues at hand. (Some already have.)

So here's how I do it.

In general, when the pcs finish a mission for a faction, they earn renown- usually 1 point. If the pc is a member of that faction instead of just doing a job for that faction, she might get an extra point. So for instance, when a group of pcs agreed to aid the Artificers' Guild (a faction) in guarding a mission to clean some clogs out of the sewer, they all got 1 renown with the Artificers' Guild. When they helped retake a dwarven outpost for the Orcslayer Clan (a faction), the member of the clan got 2 renown while the rest got 1.

I also allow a pc who isn't a member of a faction to spend her renown with that faction to get it to go the extra mile for her. (A member can do this without spending his renown.)

As for downtime, I am a big fan of passing time in game. The winter is generally too harsh for lots of adventuring, so I will generally strongly encourage the pcs to treat it as downtime. I use downtime to synchronize the pcs in different groups so that everyone is on approximately the same timeline. There are points in my adventures where the pcs have the opportunity (or need) to pass time- "the guy you want to talk to isn't available for 2 weeks"- and the pcs can use those points as downtime, too.

I really encourage the pcs to use their downtime to develop their interests, skills, businesses, ties to the world, etc. Some pcs study to gain a proficiency; others work on relationships with npcs (I recently worked up a "wooing" downtime activity), gaining renown in their faction, etc. I do try to remember to use lifestyle expenses, too- stripping the money from the pcs is a good way to motivate them to return to adventuring!

I'm a big fan of the notion that adventurers might go out, get rich, then go spend the money and go into semi-retirement for a while before going and risking their lives again.

Remove ads