• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Homebrew setting I'll use for 4e

Rel

Liquid Awesome
This thread is filled with the most awesome collection of ideas I've seen in years! I'm so very sorry I didn't find it last winter when it was still fresh and active.

Rel, if you ever come back here, could you update us on how the campaign worked out?

Heh, you can read all about it if you like. Link to the thread in my .sig.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but it might be interesting if a race of people adapted to the Mist and used it as a weapon and/or power source. I'd like to suggest Chaositech by Malhavoc Press for source material. It adds a sci-fi feel to a game without actually being sci-fi. This could go hand-in-hand with the Storm Hawks suggestion from page 1 of the thread.

Shades of Green

First Post
I really like your setting idea - really refreshing and original!

Anyhow, I keep imagining it as something a bit steampunky, with fleets of zeppelins clashing high above the mists in big naval combat between rival islands. Zeppelins would probably be either filled with Elemental Air (a fantasy equivalent of hydrogen or helium) or contain bound air elementals, giving them buoyancy.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I keep imagining Mist Sharks- relatives of the bulette that cruise the Mist, their eyes just above the surface of the concealing clouds

...achieving bouyancy with a combination of hollow bones and gas bladders, and maneuvering with paddle-like feet and tails. Tough membranes form a web between front and lower limbs to aid in gliding and control...

When they acquire a target, they deflate their bladders with an enormous afterburning fart, rocketing towards their prey, bowling it over, ripping with talons. If need be, they grab with their massive maws before escaping into the mists, killing and eating their prey later.

tom.harden.2012

First Post
Rel,

After not Playing D&D since 3.5 was new I found this world of yours that you came up with and I was wondering if u minded if I swiped a good portion of it for use in my game that I'm running.

I imagine he doesn't. I swiped the high concept way back before he even ran it, and did my own game there. kiznit did too, and his version's the "default" setting for Old School Hack, IIRC.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hard to believe how old this thread is.

I'm not ribbing anyone about thread necromancy, just commenting that it surprised me because it didn't feel like all that time ago that I was participating in it.

No kidding. Although this was Rel's idea, for various odd reasons, I got my game in the same high concept moving before he got his going, so I developed most of the details of my world without the benefit of him having already done so so I could swipe it (and mine wasn't 4e either.) We used to hang around in the Circvs chatroom bouncing ideas back and forth.

Ah, those were the days! :D

By my standards, the game I ran based on this concept was one of my more successful campaigns in many ways, too. So I've got very fond memories of it.

Remove ads