• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrewed Channel Divinity Feats

FungiMuncher

First Post
Here are a couple of divinity feats I'd like some feed back on.

My homebrew is using the Norse gods, and thus the name of the feats. Odin is the god of war and magic, so this one has the feel I'm going for. My questions are - Is it reasonable? If not, do you have any suggestions to fix it?

Channel Divinity: Odin’s Wisdom - Feat Power
As you eye your opponent carefully, Odin fills you with inspiration.
Encounter • Divine
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Make a Monster Knowledge check with a +5 bonus against one of your enemies. If you succeed against DC 25, you gain an advantage against that enemy. If your enemy has a vulnerability, your next attack against that enemy has the same type as its vulnerability. Your attack needs to normally deliver radiant or untyped damage. If the enemy has no vulnerabilities, you instead deal an additional 1d6 damage.
Special: At 11th level, deal 2d6 bonus damage against enemies without any vulnerabilities. At 21st level, deal 3d6 bonus damage.

----------------------

The next one is my attempted fix for the Sehanine divinity feat.

Channel Divinity: Freya’s Reversal Feat Power
Freya’s blessing turns the powers of your enemies against them.
Encounter • Divine
Standard Action Ranged 5
Effect: Make a saving throw with a +5 bonus to the roll. If the result is 20 or higher, choose an enemy within range; that creature gains the condition you just saved against.

The advantage is that it should come into play a little more often, and might still get rid of the effect even if it isn't reversed. The drawback is it's a standard action to activate - you have to put some effort into making this work.

Again, any thoughts?

Thanks
FM

Starfox

Hero
Overall, color me sceptic. Sorry to say but I think you are stuck in 3.5 paradigms.

The idea of having your wisdom matter in combat is nice and fits the lord of battlefields, but the mechanic is a bit too convoluted. Odin's Wisdom seems awfully complex to actually use in play, and the benefit isn't really commensurate. 4E has mostly done away with skill-rolls-to-get-an-advantage that 3.5 was so full of.

Freya's Reversal being a standard action is no fun. It brings back the old days of the cleric having to spend their action healing and not getting to do anything fun. Also, Freya isn't really a healing goddess - she is more fierce than that. Some kind of inspiration power would fit better.

FungiMuncher

First Post
Hey, some feedback! Thanks, Starfox.

Regarding the convoluted mechanism, yeah, I see the point. I was even kind of feeling it a few days after I posted. I personally like making skill rolls for benefits, but attaching it to a power is probably a too much. There would be the let down on a failure, especially considering you still need to make an attack afterward.

So, for 4e-ish simplicity's sake, how about this:

Channel Divinity: Odin’s Wisdom - Feat Power
As you eye your opponent carefully, Odin fills you with inspiration.
Encounter • Divine
Free Action - Personal
Effect: Use this power after you hit an enemy with an attack that delivers radiant or untyped damage. If your enemy has a vulnerability, your attack against that enemy deals damage of the same type as its vulnerability. If the enemy has no vulnerabilities, you instead deal an additional 1d6 damage.
Special: At 11th level, deal 2d6 bonus damage against enemies without any vulnerabilities. At 21st level, deal 3d6 bonus damage.

-----------------

Regarding the other power, I'll need to ponder it a bit. To be honest, I simply was trying to adapt a really neat idea (tossing an effect back onto an enemy) and making it more likely to happen. I guess if it was a guaranteed reversal, perhaps the standard action is justified, but it then seems to be too powerful.

Remove ads