D&D 5E Homebrewed Warlock Patron: The Living Library

Undrave

Legend
So lots of people in the Wizard Survivor thread were talking about folding Warlocks and other Spellcasters into Wizard and Cleric... and one thing led to another, so I put together this custom Patron to do the reverse: Fold the Wizard into the Warlock.

A bit plain but I think it works great with any of the Pact.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
BOO!! HISSS! You are attempting to undo my marvelous work of putting the Warlock into the Cleric!

The WIZARD must always reign supreme!

(j/k) ;)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ok, here is my critique. Overall, pretty good. Below are some re-writes (mostly word choices):

Book of Knowledge: When you borrow this book, you gain proficiency in two of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, History, Nature or Religion. While you have this book on your person, you have advantage to all ability checks where you can add your proficiency bonus from either of the two skill you selected.

Book of the Mage: When you borrow this book, select one of the following cantrips: Dancing Lights, Mending, or Message. While you have this book on your person, you know the selected cantrip and it is a Warlock cantrip for you. This cantrip does not count against your number of cantrips known

(N.B.: Theses are the "Wizard non-Warlock cantrips": Acid Splash, Control Flames, Dancing Lights, Fire Bolt, Gust, Mending, Message, Mold Earth, Ray of Frist, Shape Water, Shocking Grasp. I would select from those so the selection won't overlap with cantrips the Warlock can already choose.)

Book of Skills: When you borrow this book, you gain proficiency in one skill or tool of your choice. While you have this book on your person, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the gained proficiency.

Book of Tongues: When you borrow this book, select a number of languages equal to your proficiency bonus. While you have this book on your person, you understand and can speak the chosen languages.

Book of War: When you borrow this book, you gain proficiency in medium armor and shields. In addition, you gain proficiency in two martial weapons of your choice.

Fervent Reader
As your relationship with the Living Library grows, it grants you additional access to its content. Starting at 6th level, you can borrow one additional book when you perform the ceremony at the end of a long rest. You can select the same book twice. If you already have borrowed two books and borrow a third one, you choose which of the previous two are returned to the Library. Furthermore, you can now select the following book:

Book of Spells: When borrowing this book, select two Warlock spells. While you have this book on your person, you know the selected spells and they do not count against your number of spells known.

Borrow Energy
You can now tap into the incredible arcane reserves of the Living Library. Starting at 10th level, you can spend 1 minute to contact the Living Library to regain one expended Warlock spell slot. Once you’ve used this ability, you cannot do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Unwise

Adventurer
I like it, it is simple and to the point. Choosing an entire school of magic to add to your spell list makes themes like Oracle/Seer possible as a Warlock. I like the way it leans towards knowledge skills, with that book being better than others, but does not force people into that role. It interacts well with Pact of the Tome, but does not force you into that.

Undrave

Legend
Ok, here is my critique. Overall, pretty good. Below are some re-writes (mostly word choices):

Book of Knowledge: When you borrow this book, you gain proficiency in two of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, History, Nature or Religion. While you have this book on your person, you have advantage to all ability checks where you can add your proficiency bonus from either of the two skill you selected.

Book of the Mage: When you borrow this book, select one of the following cantrips: Dancing Lights, Mending, or Message. While you have this book on your person, you know the selected cantrip and it is a Warlock cantrip for you. This cantrip does not count against your number of cantrips known

Book of Skills: When you borrow this book, you gain proficiency in one skill or tool of your choice. While you have this book on your person, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the gained proficiency.

Book of Tongues: When you borrow this book, select a number of languages equal to your proficiency bonus. While you have this book on your person, you understand and can speak the chosen languages.

Book of War: When you borrow this book, you gain proficiency in medium armor and shields. In addition, you gain proficiency in two martial weapons of your choice.

Fervent Reader
As your relationship with the Living Library grows, it grants you additional access to its content. Starting at 6th level, you can borrow one additional book when you perform the ceremony at the end of a long rest. You can select the same book twice. If you already have borrowed two books and borrow a third one, you choose which of the previous two are returned to the Library. Furthermore, you can now select the following book:

Book of Spells: When borrowing this book, select two Warlock spells. While you have this book on your person, you know the selected spells and they do not count against your number of spells known.

Borrow Energy
You can now tap into the incredible arcane reserves of the Living Library. Starting at 10th level, you can spend 1 minute to contact the Living Library to regain one expended Warlock spell slot. Once you’ve used this ability, you cannot do so again until you finish a short or long rest.
Good point on the Cantrips, I didn't think to check which were exclusives. I went with ones that felt a bit more Wizardly to me. Maybe I would add Control Flame too, just because I could see it useful for fire prevention in a library to be able to control a candle or oil lamp's flame so it doesn't get to close to the books.

So you're saying the books are too weak as they are? I felt like the expended spell list was potentially too strong so I was erring on the side of caution... But I guess a Warlock still only has so few spell slots.

I actually considered your approach for Borrow Energy, I wasn't sure which one felt more impactful... but I can see the appeal of something more reliable. I even considered an ability to just get an extra Warlock Spell Slot but I think the flavor and balance work better if you need to at least take a breather to do it and can't 'out nova' a normal Warlock.

And I like your rewordings too.

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
I like it, it is simple and to the point. Choosing an entire school of magic to add to your spell list makes themes like Oracle/Seer possible as a Warlock. I like the way it leans towards knowledge skills, with that book being better than others, but does not force people into that role. It interacts well with Pact of the Tome, but does not force you into that.
Yeah that was the intent, and I added the Book of War for the sake of Blade Pacts. You can fluff the Pact Weapon as being from the Library's collection!

Talisman and Chain Pact feel a bit more free standing and are harder to account for when designing these pacts though. A Talisman can work well for an Oracle build I think, as it's a bit like a good luck charm.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Good point on the Cantrips, I didn't think to check which were exclusives. I went with ones that felt a bit more Wizardly to me.
Personally, I would just allow any Wizard cantrip. Then the player can choose one that is normally allowed as a Warlock, or something that is exclusively Wizard otherwise.

So you're saying the books are too weak as they are? I felt like the expended spell list was potentially too strong so I was erring on the side of caution... But I guess a Warlock still only has so few spell slots.
Slightly, but not so weak you couldn't use them as you have them. Warlocks (like Sorcerers) do have too few Known Spells. And with so few spell slots at any one time, they are more rest dependent at higher levels than other casters.

The table below shows how Warlocks have fewer slots and thus total spell levels (ignoring 6th+ spells). Even with two short rests (a standard table rule IME) per long rest, for most used levels wizards have more slots and spell levels (especially if you add in any Arcane Recovery!).

1669253644934.png

I actually considered your approach for Borrow Energy, I wasn't sure which one felt more impactful... but I can see the appeal of something more reliable. I even considered an ability to just get an extra Warlock Spell Slot but I think the flavor and balance work better if you need to at least take a breather to do it and can't 'out nova' a normal Warlock.
Well, all warlock slots in 1 minute is too much IMO, but a single spell slot once per long rest using that minute is too weak, so I split the difference with 1 slot for 1 minute with a short or long rest... Playtesting would help I think.

Remove ads