D&D 5E Homebrewed Warlock Patron: The Living Library

Undrave

Legend
Book of War: When you borrow this book, you gain proficiency in medium armor and shields. In addition, you gain proficiency in two martial weapons of your choice.
I just realized that your wording for the books don't specify that you only have the granted proficiencies while you carry the book, implying they stay even when you return the book...

So I reworked the books according to your recommendations but I kept my old wording to make it clear you need the book on you to gain the bonuses. I've also updated the wording on the Fervent Reader and Borrow Energy.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I just realized that your wording for the books don't specify that you only have the granted proficiencies while you carry the book, implying they stay even when you return the book...

So I reworked the books according to your recommendations but I kept my old wording to make it clear you need the book on you to gain the bonuses. I've also updated the wording on the Fervent Reader and Borrow Energy.
Good enough. :)

I'll check it out later after Thanksgiving dinner. 😋

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I also threw in Control Flame and Mage Hand into the Book of Mage for purely thematic reasons, in addition to your suggestions.
Looks good!

A couple of typing/wording things:

1. At the end of Book of Skills, you have two full stops after the word proficiency. ;)
2. At the end of Book of War, you should have "shields", not shield.
3. In the Book of Spells, you should type "two" instead of "2".

Finally, for Mystic Secret it allows you two 6th level spells at 14th level, when other casters don't have this benefit until 19th level! That seems a bit unbalanced IMO, so I offer this as an alternative.

Mystic Secret​

The Library grants you an arcane secret. At 14th level, when you finish a long rest, you can choose a different Warlock spell to replace one of your mystic arcanum. The spell must be of the same spell level as the arcanum you replace.

This allows Warlocks to actually change out their mystic arcanum, which otherwise are fixed once chosen, which I think would be a very useful feature at times!

I know OF the show but no.
You should check it out, I always found it to be a very good show. If you haven't seen the movies, watch them first. :)

Undrave

Legend
Finally, for Mystic Secret it allows you two 6th level spells at 14th level, when other casters don't have this benefit until 19th level! That seems a bit unbalanced IMO, so I offer this as an alternative.
Hmm... how about I make so you get two choices of spell per Arcanum then? You still only get one 'charge' of each but each is more versatile. That would be Wizardly?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hmm... how about I make so you get two choices of spell per Arcanum then? You still only get one 'charge' of each but each is more versatile. That would be Wizardly?
Sure, that would work just as well. It increases versatility slightly without allowing "all spells" potentially.

Remove ads