Homebrewing a Starting Magic Item

Satyrn

First Post
*edit: I see Satyrn's post and can't help but feel a little trepidation about the higher level spells as well. Higher levels could get out of control. If high level spells can be stored, I would keep a doozy of a price tag on that gold snake. I would probably also restrict the silver and black snakes to level 5 or lower.
It was indeed my intention to place that limit on all 3 snakes. I'm not sure it really matters, though, since the wearer needs to be 11th level to bind a 6th level spell anyway.

But then, we're not his DM, and my ultimate suggestion to the OP would be to present the item as written, adding in a clarification that there's no spellcountering going on. We don't want the DM reacting like lowkey.

Dausuul

Legend
The character is starting at level 6, not level 1. (That's why we get a magic item.)

Good points about capping the level on the spells. I don't think it has major balance implications, since you don't get any extra slots out of it, but it does feel weird to be able to manipulate 9th-level spells with an uncommon item. I'll have to think about where the appropriate place is to draw the line.

I'll also change "bind" to "imprint," which describes better what's happening.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases