Homeworld: Revelations RPG For Pre-order

Modiphius has made its upcoming Homeworld: Revelations RPG available for pre-order. Each pre-order gets a 69-page Quickstarter to get you going while you wait for the full rulebook. The core rulebook is $50, with various collectors editions and bundles if you have a bit more to spend. It doesn't mention the expected release date (at least as far as I can see!)...
Modiphius has made its upcoming Homeworld: Revelations RPG available for pre-order. Each pre-order gets a 69-page Quickstarter to get you going while you wait for the full rulebook.

The core rulebook is $50, with various collectors editions and bundles if you have a bit more to spend. It doesn't mention the expected release date (at least as far as I can see!)

pf-ae393590--PlayersBundleHomeworldRGB150dpi.jpg

Homeworld: Revelations will give fans of the original Homeworld game the exciting opportunity to view the universe from a new perspective, taking on the role of the crew aboard one of the Kushan fleet’s ships. Whether it’s joining the Mothership on its odyssey, or helping re-establish the Hiigaran homeworld, there will be endless adventures.

Homeworld: Revelations expands on what we know of the Kushan people and the game’s major factions, like the Kadesh and the Taiidan. Fans of the universe will learn that there are more incredible secrets hidden within the Guidestone which can be discovered through the roleplaying game. You can expect more detail on the people of the whirlpool galaxy so players can create their own stories of discovery and adventure, revisit locations from Homeworld to uncover their mysteries, and even explore the events of the Exodus to find out what else the Kushan discovered, gained and lost on that famous journey.

Modiphius has employed the expertise of Martin Cirulis, one of the original writers of Homeworld, to consult on the setting and lore, along with Homeworld experts at Gearbox Entertainment and Blackbird Interactive whilst one of the original artists for the Homeworld video game, Aaron Kambeitz, has created the cover art. Check the product pages for more details.
  • Step inside the fleet and for the first time discover the personal story of the Hiigarans
  • The history of the Kushan people from their origins on Hiigara, into exile on Kharak, and back again. With adventure ideas for play in any of these periods throughout their history
  • Explore the harsh desert world of Kharak and the cities and societies found there.
  • Create a character from some of the most famous of the Kushan Kiith - Naabal, Soban, S’jet, Paktu, Manaan, and Somtaaw.
  • Take your role as part of the crew on any of the classic Homeworld vessels.
  • Discover life on board the Mothership as part of its many important divisions – Command, Tech and Engineering, or Exploration and Research.
  • Details on all other factions and their technology - Taiidan, Bentusi, Turanic Raiders, Kadeshi, The Progenitors and the Galactic Council
  • Covers the events of Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2, Homeworld Cataclysm and Deserts of Kharak.
  • You’re not grounded! Simple ship combat rules give you everything you need to take command of fighters, corvettes, frigates, capital ships, super capital ships and of course the iconic Mothership herself!
  • Packed full of never-before-seen Homeworld art to bring the universe to life in a completely new light
  • A new iteration of Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG system designed from the ground up to let you dive deep into the events of Homeworld.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I keep skirting around Modiphius products as the 2d20 system is probably the most split system I've read about. Half of the testimonies praised it and half said it wasn't for them. I've been especially interested in the Conan books, but they're not cheap. This says it's a new iteration of their system, I wonder if it'll change people's opinion about it considerably?

I keep skirting around Modiphius products as the 2d20 system is probably the most split system I've read about. Half of the testimonies praised it and half said it wasn't for them. I've been especially interested in the Conan books, but they're not cheap. This says it's a new iteration of their system, I wonder if it'll change people's opinion about it considerably?

They've been iterating on and mostly streamlining the 2d20 system for years, so in a lot of ways each 2d20 game is its own version of the engine. And those changes between versions can be really significant. Achtung! Cthulhu pulls out a lot of the crunch that's in Conan and Infinity, while Dune is some the smoothest, crunch-free peanut butter around. So your take might really depend on which game you pick up.

Personally I think 2d20 is fantastic, and the game I'm playing in right now leans more way more Conan than Dune. My guess is that Homeworlds will be similar to Achtung! Cthulhu--medium-crunchy. All 2d20 tends to always be pretty pulpy, though, so think more swashbuckling than down-and-dirty tactical.

I'd recommend checking out some of Modiphius's quickstarts. They tend to be well done and give enough of a sense of system.

One other thing re: Conan--the magic system is very dark and brutal, which fits the Conan setting incredibly, but in my opinion makes it very hard for players to be sorcerers in any satisfying way. With enough XP they'll start to be effective, but it's not the same sort of curve as in other games. Other people will be downright amazing right away, while you're still waiting for your character to kick in. But even without magic there's enough variety in terms of talents to keep the game plenty interesting. Meanwhile, Acthung! Cthulhu's magic system is a lot more accessible right away, and has a lot of variety. If you like Conan then down the line you could always try to adapt some of A!C's magic over to it.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Why, 2d20™ is a very good system. If 2d20™ weren't good, do you think Modiphius™ would just put their name (Modiphius™) on just any old product? No! 2d20™ is so good that it's clearly the optimal choice for every game and genre Modiphius™ publishes. Otherwise, they wouldn't use 2d20™! I mean, Modiphius™ wouldn't publish it otherwise.

I look forward to the inevitable publication of this very thread converted to 2d20™ by Modiphius™.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Why, 2d20™ is a very good system. If 2d20™ weren't good, do you think Modiphius™ would just put their name (Modiphius™) on just any old product? No! 2d20™ is so good that it's clearly the optimal choice for every game and genre Modiphius™ publishes. Otherwise, they wouldn't use 2d20™! I mean, Modiphius™ wouldn't publish it otherwise.

I look forward to the inevitable publication of this very thread converted to 2d20™ by Modiphius™.
I'm very confused.

Personally I think 2d20 is fantastic, and the game I'm playing in right now leans more way more Conan than Dune. My guess is that Homeworlds will be similar to Achtung! Cthulhu--medium-crunchy. All 2d20 tends to always be pretty pulpy, though, so think more swashbuckling than down-and-dirty tactical.

I'd recommend checking out some of Modiphius's quickstarts. They tend to be well done and give enough of a sense of system.

Thank you for your input. I know I'll pull the trigger at one point! I like the setting of Conan, so that's probably where I'll start.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
For me? Probably not, I mean I love SF, run an SFRPG group of thousands which I will re-post this to, except probably never buy it. Not knowing anything about Homeworld, like it is a video game? Or the 2d20 system, so it is like 2x the d20 system?

Thank you for your input. I know I'll pull the trigger at one point! I like the setting of Conan, so that's probably where I'll start.
If you're already specifically into the Conan setting, I can't recommend the 2d20 game highly enough. This is a game where you can do a "display" attack on a group, meaning you inflict mental damage, but cutting off a dude's head and brandishing it at his friends. It's hella Conan.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Each IP that they've used the 2d20 system for sees the system modified to fit it, so it's not like 20 years ago when everything under the sun was d20 with levels and feats and the system was slapped over anything without modification.

Conan's pretty crunchy, with layers added on to the core mechanic. Star Trek Adventures is far more streamlined, with tweaks to the core that make it feel more like the IP at the table. Achtung! Cthulhu sits between those, in my view, and Dishonored, Dune, and John Carter are more narrative and less crunchy than Star Trek.

I've never seen a company take a core mechanic and keep it the same while also expressing, for lack of a better work, it differently for the sake of trying to help it best model a given IP. It's become my system of choice over the last few years because of this, and I've play Star Trek a lot, and they feel different from each other at the table. In Conan the players can do a lot of tactical planning and achieve cool combat synergy between them. And in Star Trek you can solve problems using gonzo science and a lot of made up technobabble. A!C sits in the middle, with great gun combat and a magic system that is far more 'friendly' to the character than in Conan, but still comes at a cost. It sounds silly, I know, but the system just works really well.

So remember: yes, it's the same company; and yes, it's the same core mechanic; but no, it's not the same system, in full in every game.

I agree that people are split on the system: love it or hate it. I run it a lot at my FLGS - different IPs of it, that is - and I have had a ton of converts who, once they get their head around how the system works and what it can do, really like it. Most of the negativity toward it, in my view, is from people who actually don't fully understand how it actually functions, and what it can accomplish by functioning that way.

Remove ads

Remove ads