D&D (2024) (+) Hopes for The Monk

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Agreed.
There are enough classes that just stand still and hit stuff and wait to be hit back.

Monks should encourage ducking in and out of combat, jumping over foes, and other skirmish stuff.

Stuff like..
-You do not provoke opportunity attacks.
-Move up to your speed, make an attack against each creature who you pass by.
-deal bonus damage based on how far you moved.
-once a creature is stunned, they are immune to stunning strike effects for 1 round (so go hit someone else).
-as a reaction, when an enemy moves within 5', you can move 10'.
What about the ability to move up to the number of feet listed in your Unarmored movement feature any time you use a reaction, as part of the same reaction?

mellored

Legend
What about the ability to move up to the number of feet listed in your Unarmored movement feature any time you use a reaction, as part of the same reaction?
Maybe something like.

When targeted, but before dice are rolled, you can use your reaction to move 5', potentially having the attack miss.
If you expend ki, you can increase the distance to your unarmored movement.

And at some point your going to avoid an attack by running up a wall, and that would be great.

doctorbadwolf

Maybe something like.

When targeted, but before dice are rolled, you can use your reaction to move 5', potentially having the attack miss.
If you expend ki, you can increase the distance to your unarmored movement.

And at some point your going to avoid an attack by running up a wall, and that would be great.
I like this, but by making it also work when you use a reaction, you can OA and then move closer to where the target ends up, for instance.

Either way it’s a very “you’re the mobile striker” move.

And I love the idea of escaping attack by running up a wall lol

doctorbadwolf

I really think that a perfect monk build would be to combine spirit and martial arts dice into spirit dice, and your unarmed strikes deal spirit dice damage, starting at d6 (d8 if fully unarmed with no shield), making Unarmored a choice, maybe a level 1 choice that focuses you more on speed and finesse, or strength and ability to move creatures around and stuff, and wisdom and defense/support of some kind.

Then, make about a dozen spirit features to choose from at level 2, 5, 11, 13,16, 18, build flurry into martial arts, step off the wind and slow fall into Unarmored movement, and patient defense and the basic atwill part of deflect [attacks] into Unarmored defense. Spirit Techniques would include immediate stuff and stuff that lasts for longer, and you learn maybe 9 ever, keeping things fairly simple.

Then take most of the later level abilities and make them chosen from a list similar to warlock invocations.

In the mystic, I’ve gone with more of an infusion type deal, where you know more than you are using in a day and can change every day, representing focusing your mind and body on a set form and style even though you know several.

For a more direct monk update I’d probably go more invocation where it’s a set list that is always active.

ZetaShift

Eternity will pass before I stop playing Monks
dies

In the meantime, I reworked the Monk class awhile ago not only to make the class function properly, but also make them stronger-- relatively so to casters-- and giving them more options to choose from to make sure they aren't completely bland, ala the Warlock's Invocation table.

Gonna compile it in a doc but some ideas I had were:
  • D10 hit die
  • Proficiency in improvised weapons
  • Reworking Stunning Strike to make it far more healthy for the class
  • Giving more ki, equal to Level + 1 + WIS modifier
  • MA die starts at a d4 and ends at d8
  • Ki Features scale throughout the game, allowing the Monk essentially get a resourceless FoB by level 11 and a way to attack three times as a bonus action
  • Fighting Styles
  • Changing the level 20 capstone completely, allowing you to choose from two options.
  • The invocation table equivalent will have a stance system to modify how they play, such as an Archer's stance to properly support ranged monks, etc.
The key idea behind the rework was to embody a "warrior-sage" where they're fairly powerful in combat, but also provide good utility to the team if they choose to embody the melee support role.

Last edited:

Remove ads