D&D (2024) (+) Hopes for The Monk

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Here is how my current rebuild of the monk looks.

LevelProf bonusMartial ArtsKiUnarmored MovementTechniques KnownFeatures
1st+21d4---Unarmored Defense, Martial Arts, Fighting Style
2nd+21d42+10ft3Ki, Unarmored Movement
3rd+21d43+10ft4Subclass
4th+21d44+10ft5Feat
5th+31d65+10ft6Extra Attack

As a monk, you gain the following class features.

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d8 per monk level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per monk level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor:
None
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: Choose one type of artisan's tools or one musical instrument
Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
Skills: Choose two from Acrobatics, Athletics, History, Insight, Religion, and Stealth

Unarmored Defense

same

Martial Arts

Your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.
You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield:
  • You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table.
  • Once on your turn when you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as an additional attack.
Fighting Style
You have honed your martial prowess. You gain one of the following Fighting Style Feats of your choice: Unarmored Striker, Wrestling

Unarmed Striker: You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons.
Wrestling: When you hit with an Unarmed Strike, you can choose to both deal damage and grapple.

Ki
Starting at 2nd level, your training allows you to harness the mystic energy of ki. Your access to this energy is represented by a number of ki points. Your monk level determines the number of points you have, as shown in the Ki Points column of the Monk table.

You can spend these points to fuel various ki techniques. You start knowing three such techniques of your choice. You many only choose a technique you meet the requirements for. You learn more ki techniques as you gain levels in this class.

When you spend a ki point, it is unavailable until you finish a short or long rest, at the end of which you draw all of your expended ki back into yourself. You must spend at least 30 minutes of the rest meditating to regain your ki points.

Some of your ki features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Ki save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier
  • Dazing Strike: Once per turn, when you hit another creature with a melee weapon attack, you can spend 1 ki point to attempt a dazing strike. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of your next turn.
  • Deflect Missile: If you reduce the damage of an attack with Deflect Missile to 0, you can catch the missile if it is small enough for you to hold in one hand and you have at least one hand free. If you catch a missile in this way, you can spend 1 ki point to make a ranged attack with a range of 20/60 using the weapon or piece of ammunition you just caught, as part of the same reaction. You make this attack with proficiency, regardless of your weapon proficiencies, and the missile counts as a monk weapon for the attack.
  • Diamond Soul (must be 12th level): Your mastery of ki grants you proficiency in all saving throws. Additionally, whenever you make a saving throw and fail, you can spend 3 ki point to reroll it and use the second result if you choose.
  • Dragon God Strike (must be 5th level): When you hit with an unarmed strike, you can spend 5 ki to deal additional damage and knock the creature prone.The bonus damage is equal to 5 rolls of your martial arts die and is fire damage.
  • Flurry of Blows. You can take an action and spend 2 ki points to make 5 unarmed strikes.
  • Ki Focus (must be 5th level): When you miss with an attack roll, you can spend 1 to 3 ki points to increase your attack roll by 2 for each of these ki points you spend, potentially turning the miss into a hit.
  • Ki Healing: As an action, you can spend 2 ki points and roll a Martial Arts die. You regain a number of hit points equal to the number rolled plus your proficiency bonus.
  • Patient Defense. You can spend 2 ki point gain a +5 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn.
  • Redirect Missile (must have Deflect Missile): If you reduce the damage of an attack with Deflect Missile to 0, you can catch the missile if it is small enough for you to hold in one hand and you have at least one hand free. If you catch a missile in this way, you can spend 1 ki point to make a ranged attack with a range of 20/60 using the weapon or piece of ammunition you just caught, as part of the same reaction. You make this attack with proficiency, regardless of your weapon proficiencies, and the missile counts as a monk weapon for the attack. The attack gains bonus damage equal to your martial arts die.
  • Slow Fall: You can spend 1 ki and use your reaction when you fall to reduce any falling damage you take by an amount equal to ten times your monk level.
  • Step of the Wind. You can spend 2 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on your turn. If you know this technique, your jump distance is doubled.
  • Stunning Strike: Once on your turn, when you hit another creature with a melee weapon attack, you can spend 2 ki point to attempt a stunning strike. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of your next turn.
  • Whirlwind of Blows (must be 11th level): You can take an action and spend 4 ki points to make 8 unarmed strikes
Feat
same

Extra Attack

same

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think that perhaps wheat is needed in the base class for ki could be longer-lasting effects.

Flurry of Blows - Spend 1 ki point. For 1 minute, when you make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, you instead make two unarmed strikes.

Step of The Wind - 1 ki, 1 minute, you get step of the wind effects on all movement and can disengage as a bonus action.

Shadow Strike - 2 ki, level 5, for 1 minute your unarmed attacks gain an extra 5ft reach, and deal an extra 1d6 force damage.

Stuff like that.

Oh, stunning strike would be 1 minute, 2 ki (maybe 3) and your attacks daze enemies on a failed save, and if they fail the Secondary save at the start of thier next turn they are stunned until the end of your next turn instead.

Dodge as a bonus action becomes a lot stronger if it is a defensive stance, but what if the stance gives you passive damage mitigation, which stacks with deflect attacks (deflect missiles can be used against any attack) making it much more likely you’ll negate attacks but also reducing damage even when you don’t.

Undrave

Legend
In response to all the "use an action to regain ki" and similar proposals, I have to reiterate my prior stance that ki should just be dropped for all the things a monk does on an average turn. At the point where a limited resource is freely regenerating it is no longer meaningfully a limited resource, and as an unlimited resource it makes the more special abilities running off of it too available.

The level 2 bonus action ki abilities just shouldn't use ki. The amount of ki you get should be balanced accordingly.
Hence my suggestion to crib from the Warlock, where Ki works like the Warlock's spell slots.

They need to change it from Ki to Spiritual Energy. Ki invokes Eastern philosophy while Spiritual Energy can be anything.

This will also free them up to make a subclass like the Friar based on Friar Tuck who was also a master of quarter staff and sword for those tables that don't allow Eastern martial arts in their Western fantasy game.

Clint_L

Hero
They need to change it from Ki to Spiritual Energy. Ki invokes Eastern philosophy while Spiritual Energy can be anything.

This will also free them up to make a subclass like the Friar based on Friar Tuck who was also a master of quarter staff and sword for those tables that don't allow Eastern martial arts in their Western fantasy game.
The D&D monk has always been a martial arts themed class (as in, like martial arts media), but there’s nothing stopping you from reflavouring it for your table.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
One of the big things that annoys me about the monk is its cookie-cutter nature. Beyond choosing a subclass, there just isn't really any significant choice in abilities as you level.

This is what I have been working on for my own version. The main thing is you choose a martial arts style that defines how much base damage your martial art attack does (Flurry and MA damage adjustment have been tweaked as well), and your style gives you a small battlefield control ability as well. Secondly, as you level you have a broad choice of ki abilities, similar to choosing Warlock invocations - allowing you to vastly customize your abilities.

Also, made Deflect Blows work against ranged weapons or melee attacks - giving the monk more staying power in hand-to-hand combat (though the amount deflected probably needs significant adjustment).

As I read the comments above, I'm considering some ki abilities should possibly become "cantrips", usable without spending a ki point to accomplish, as long as you have at least 1 ki point available. Possibly also reducing the total ki pool size in the process.

Attachments

• Monk (Advanced) - The Homebrewery.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 121

mellored

Legend
One of the big things that annoys me about the monk is its cookie-cutter nature. Beyond choosing a subclass, there just isn't really any significant choice in abilities as you level.
You get a lot of in-combat choices.

Rather than a fighter, who gets a style and effectively has to stick with it (especially with feats). Once you pick archery, your effectively stuck with a bow.

Bu monks can change per turn. Do you spend ki on flurry, stunning strike, or dodge?

I hope they maintain that flexibility.

Clint_L

Hero
Well, you get three choices (one of which a fighter could make, as well). Realistically, you are mostly choosing between flurry of blows or stunning strike. Usually, the correct answer is stunning strike. I concur with the point that monks need more meaningful choices.

Undrave

Legend
You get a lot of in-combat choices.

Rather than a fighter, who gets a style and effectively has to stick with it (especially with feats). Once you pick archery, your effectively stuck with a bow.

Bu monks can change per turn. Do you spend ki on flurry, stunning strike, or dodge?

I hope they maintain that flexibility.
Yeah but every Monk gets the same set of choice and, because of the MAD nature, usually end up with similar ability scores. You played a Monk at level 1 and 2 and you’ve played them all. You played a Sublcass and you’re done: no new experience to be had in that subclass. Compared to a Battlemaster it’s pretty lackluster.

A Rogue doesn’t get much choice of abilities either (only Expertise), but due to their SAD nature they can have widely different ability score spreads. You don’t get this kind of freedom with a Monk.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I want the monk to have one of two fundamental changes, and I don't care which:

1) A lot more Ki points, or
2) Separate some of their class and subclass abilities into their own ability pools separate from the Ki Point pool.

Using a very limited number of Ki points to fuel just about everything the monk does is the #1 thing holding the monk class back.

Remove ads