Horror RPG mechanics

I'm one of those who drank the Dread koolaid. I absolutely love the elegance of this game, and I can't recommend it highly enough. :)

Celebrim said it above, and I'll have to agree that while Dread is phenomenal for a one-shot convention game, I'd have a really hard time using it as the basis for a campaign of any length. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it's not what I'd use in that case.

I agree very much with the idea that it is possible to run a horror game with most systems. The horror is a theme reflected more in the fluff than in the crunch, but even so the system does make some difference.

Initially I also thought about the Fear, Horror, and Madness checks from Ravenloft but I feel that to force the characters to be afraid or horrified is counter-productive. I would prefer to offer rewards for good role playing and to be very deadly so they really fear for their characters.

I like the idea of using Madness checks but along with the drawback of getting insane I would also add some benefit, like an outworldly insight or a psychic wild talent, something flashy that gives them a false sense of hope.

From oWoD I like the use of humanity as a measure to the character´s corruption, and it could be used along something like Ravenloft´s power checks to see if getting a step more near to the darkness is rewarded.

To avoid that the characters are overpowered the level of magic would be rather low and obscure, maybe emulating Carcosa´s by limiting the use of magic to invoke, bind, imprison or torment monsters, adding that when using magic they must take the risk of being negatively affected by it (cursed, deformed, aged, etc).

I’m looking forward to get my hands on these to see how do they do it:
Call of Cthulhu
Chill
Don’t Rest Your Head
Silent Legions
Chronicles of Darkness
Dread

I'm one of those who drank the Dread koolaid. I absolutely love the elegance of this game, and I can't recommend it highly enough. :)

Celebrim said it above, and I'll have to agree that while Dread is phenomenal for a one-shot convention game, I'd have a really hard time using it as the basis for a campaign of any length. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it's not what I'd use in that case.

Interesting! This may move Dread to the top of my list.

Brian Perlis

First Post
There is also:

The End of the World - Zombie Apocalypse
The End of the World - Alien Invasion
The End of the World - Wrath of the Gods

Witchcraft by CJ Carella available on DriveThruRPG

I'm not sure if Dead Reign has been mentioned.

AZ - After Zombies

Horror Rules

I can try and pick out some more if interested.

I've ran a D20 Call of Cthulhu campaign once, and it was a big success. The sanity rules in that work wonderfully. The video game Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth also does a great job at translating the sanity system to a different medium.

I'm eager to try my hand at a game of Dread. I've been watching play sessions on youtube, which are often very exciting. I love how the rules of the game are simplified down to just pulling jenga blocks.

[video=youtube;ftFt3eyg69E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftFt3eyg69E[/video]

If you're interested, check out this Dread session where they take the horror into outer space!

Remove ads