• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Horror Stories of a DM

Xarlen

First Post
Have you, as a DM, ever done something, and have it fall apart by previous mistakes? What's YOUR story with that min/maxer? Ever miss an important rule and cost a player a life? Or did that rule, that simple flaw, lead to the premature death of a prominant PC? Tell us YOUR fumbles, your uh ohs, and those times you want to bury your head in the sand.

To start things off, I'll tell you one of mine.

6th level party. I'd allowed a player to have spellfire, and take the channeling class. He had a con of 20 (He was a dwarf or some race out of Mystic Races...) He had hit full power. Anyways...

The group were sent after some druids, who had trashed the city with flamestrikes and Call Lightnings. So they come across a lake. On one side are some cliffs, which I had said had caves in them. The party then proceeded to get into a boat (Which just happened to be near by) and begin rowing across. I said they smelled chlorine. They didn't get the hint.

They keep rowing. I tell one of them that they notice the water is black, underneath the boat. They begin to panic, and try and attack the water. Then, they're surrounded by darkness. Everyone makes reflex saves, as an acid cloud hits. Everyone makes it. The following rounds, the boat is being clawed and bit from below.

The boat was pretty much destroyed, but the psion, before the boat was demolished, had the bright idea to use one o' his powers to stun whatever it was underneath the boat. A bad roll later, whatever it was is now sinking toward the bottom of the lake. He takes a deep breath, and jumps in.

At the bottom of the lake is a half-fiend Young green dragon (The HD alone had it so many yummy abilities... and only a CR 6). The stunned rounds were going down, slowly. So the psion swims down, and uses his +1 spear to poke it, slowly.

Now here comes the bad part. The character with spellfire? He swam right down to the bottom of the lake, put his hands on the dragon... and unleashed every level he had. He delt 120 points of damage. This is after the Half-Fiend's fire resistance. In essence, killed it, in one lick. And it was going to wake up, within a few seconds.

Luckily, this was a little game at school, and I stopped running it/people lost interest(I will note the spellfire player made other characters, such as the Werebear/Half dragon Barbarian/Frenzied berzerker with the +22 strenght mod, but that was for another DM...).

WillieW

First Post
Well.... Probably not what you had in mind, but...

While playing AD&D (before 2nd edition, I think), the player characters had that old enemy of the DM, a portable hole.

Something needed doing, they used the hole to do it. A peephole in a dungeon door... Put the hole on the wall to find the trap mechanism... that kind of thing. They even hid in the hole when they had to. The character who owned it carried it around in a handkerchief (his handkerchief had a hole in it).

Finally I got fed up with this whole hole business... (sorry), so the next thing the characters put the hole on demagicked it on the spot. I might have given it a saving throw, but I don't think I did. Blatant abuse of DM's power. It was my own fault for giving them that hole in the first place anyhow. Felt mildly guilty about it for a while, but was more careful about what items they were given from then on.

fba827

Adventurer
Pardon my curtness and otherwise generalization... i'm tired and don't have time for a specific example :)

But, generally.. the most annoying thing that fits the description of what you're asking for is when there is a monster, creature, or encounter that I just totally forget some feature/aspect of (ie something it can do or something specific about it like a continuous fear affect around it or something).

Well without said thing, the encounter goes by waaaaay too easily and I had hoped it would have been a critical/crucial encounter.

That sort of thing irks me and makes me annoyed with myself more than I can express ;-)

fba827

PS. Yes, experience, etc gets adjusted accordingly, but that still doesn't make up for the fact that I was planning/hoping to use it as a critical enounter and through my own fault it ended up being much easier/anti-climactic than I hoped it would be.

Xarlen

First Post
I know *exactly* how you feel.

Having an 11th level necromancer die to a 7-8th level party durign the third round from a Phantasmal Killer really does put a damper on things.

Note, the necromancer was a Fun guy. I enjoyed playing him. :)

It's amazing. Because earlier in the session, the entire party was wiped out by three carrion crawlers. Thankfully a lacky saved them, only to tie them up, but still...

Last edited:

Fade

First Post
I was the player actually, but my DM certainly made a mistake. This was back in 2E, and I was playing an elven archer/mage (yes I know. We were young.) Anyway, there was an item in the elves handbook that consisted of a fragile pot on the end of an arrow, with a fire trap spell on it. When it hit something and shattered, the spell went off.

I decided that this could be improved. I had a jeweller make me a javelin head with a dozen tiny compartments in it, after enlarging the original work to make it easier to work on. Then I had the party cleric enchant each of them (permanent duration). The blast from one being crushed destroyed all the other, causing an explosion that did hideous damage for our level. In a radius. Not only did my GM let me do this, but he actually increased the power by saying I could put a pint of greek fire in the compartments. When my character used one to take out an entire group of trolls in one round, losing his eyebrows in the process, we both realised that something had gone badly wrong.

I think the end came when I used one on an enemy warship, which managed to grapple to us before it burned to the waterline, taking us with it.

Fade

First Post
They were just busting out of a secret passage so they were very tightly grouped. This was before we used a battlemap, and our DM tended to overestimate how tightly enemies were packed. Also remember that that's 5' radius, not 5' diameter.

Wicht

Hero
Well not exactly a horror story - but it did teach me one thing.

Me freshman year of college I started a mammoth campaign that ended up in Ravenloft. In a self created domain, over-ruled by a undead vampiric black dragon who was completely blind but could see through the eyes of shadows and control said shadows, I ruled that before the players could assault the dragon's skyscraper (The domain was really New York City, conquered by an evil dragon, sucked into Ravenloft and degenerated through hundreds of years of isolation, evil and vampirism) they had to first conquer the four skyscrapers of the dragon's leiutanants, meanwhile defending the local population from the undead everywhere.

The campaign went very well and there were some good adventures had by all.

Where I went wrong though was in the fact that I decided to let three of my fellow players each create one of the skyscrapers and DM the sessions through that tower. This allowed me time as a player and (more importantly) time to spend with my then girlfriend (soon to be fiancee, one day to be wife.) These sessions were also fun but as the school year wound down, I realized that I had no idea what magic items had been accumalated in the towers and that each of my fellow DMs had not only secretly awarded some of the players magic items when my PC wasn't paying attention, but that their own characters had some horrific combinations of magic. In the end it was a pretty munchkinny thing (my own character, an elven thief, had a ring of improved invisibility, a ring of regeneration, a cloak of many things and many other items besides)

It was discovered that even if the PCs had won their way through the final tower (which we never got to do) they would have made quick mincemeat of a super-powerful undead dragon through the items they possessed (this was as level 12-14 characters in 2e).

My lessons I learned?

1) Never let a campaign fall into the hands of the players. 2) Always, as DM, keep a strict control over the creation process. 3) Too little magic is better than too much magic

Remove ads