"Hot Pursuit" supplement

I have played with the rules, primarily the 'on foot' version, and had a great time with chases through the cities and through the woods.

The rules are flexible and can cover alot of ground. The only difficulty is using the rules with 4e where the mini-based combat is hard to mesh with the more abstract rules of hot pursuit. The author was working on a 4e variant, but I haven't seen it published yet. Combined with Stalker0's Obsidian skill challenge, it works well enough in 4e.

The vehicle based rules I have not played, but they make sense on the read through. It is definitely worth the cost.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I have used both, and they were enjoyably fun. Flexible and as quick as any rules-based d20 chase can be. I was very impressed, overall. (Enough to adapt it into a dogfighting system for a Star Wars game.)

Celebrim

Legend
Wondering if anyone has ever used these chase rules, and the foot-chase expansion to it, and what your experiences were with it.

I've used it as the framework of two scenes in my current campaign. It works well, but it requires some thought and planning to avoid repitition.

There are some minor problems like it tending to assume that the larger vehical is always less hindered by terrain than the smaller and lighter one, but other than that it's a pretty solid and well thought out rules set.

I would recommend it as being in the top 10 rules supplements to own from the 3e era.

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
it's a great product that removes teh certainty that a creature with a move of 6 will always always always catch a creature with a move of 5. However I've found it does have the potential to bog down what should be a very exciting scene if you adhere too closely to the options provided.

I moved the system over to 4e, and kept the basic mechanic of abstracting movement/distance, and also of applying penalties for attacks made at various distances. For terrain or surface I apply across the board penalties, and for differences in movement rate, I give each participant +4 for every square of movement they have over their opponents. This makes slow effect brutal. :) I wing most of the other actions, such as barnstorming, damn the torpedoes, etc, by offering choices to the players and then assigning DC's to various skills based on what makes sense: endurance to smash through a fruit stall (comes up a LOT), acrobatics to parquor over an obstacle, etc.

I also kept the assumption that everyone is double-moving; if you use a standard action for anything other than movement, you fall back one range increment. vehicles are slightly different, but the principals are the same. I use acrobatics as the driving skill.

Finest moment: team was in an animated carriage going to a site to investigate. When setting the scene I described a tired mule standing near the road. Later, when they were fleeing with hell demons behind them, the mule was in the middle of the road. They avoided it by smashing through a garden wall. Great fun!

--Z

Remove ads