D&D 5E "Houndmaster" Fighter

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'm currently re-writing the PHB for my table use. I have a fighting style for this type of character (only fighters have fighting styles in my version)

Fighting styles
Archery: You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
Point blank: You do not have disadvantage on the attack roll with ranged or thrown while within 5 ft of a hostile creature.
Defense: +1 AC while you are wearing armor.
Dueling: +2 damage with 1-handed weapons.
Great Weapon: Reroll once 1-2 on two-handed weapon damage roll.
Houndmaster: Gain a mastiff Companion using your WIS modifier to determine its HP.
Interception: When a creature you can see hits a target that is within 5 ft of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 1d10 + your proficiency bonus.
Two-Weapon Fighting: +1 critical range with dual 1-handed weapons.

For reference, here's my rules for Companions, using the the new beast master/battle smith/ wildfire druid pet template.

Companion: Companions are loyal friends of the adventurer; they are not paid to join your adventure. They use the following rules:
  • The companion is generally a creature of CR 1 or lower.
  • Add your proficiency bonus to the companions unarmored AC, spell attack rolls and DC and all proficient rolls if it is higher than the the creature’s.
  • Its HP maximum equals the companion’s CON modifier + one of your modifiers (generally, CHA) + five times your class level and 1 Healing die per companion level.
  • The only action it takes on its turn is the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take one of the actions in its stat block or to take the Dash, Disengage, Help, or Hide action.
  • The companion use the normal rules for healing and dying.
  • The companion gains all its racial specific features if its ancestry is different than the one in its stat block . As an example, NPC guard, written as Humanoid (any) , can be a dwarven guard or a gnome guard, gaining the special traits of the race.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Doesn't the Battlesmith's Steel Defender already tread on the Beastmaster's niche while doing a much better job of it?

I like the idea of the houndmaster but as an English Mastiff owner I am probably biased.

delphonso

Explorer
If you want to stick with a single hound, I'd look at the features a Cavalier gets and change them from riding to being adjacent to the dog. Charge/trample could be grapples by the dog giving advantage to the fighter.

I think the ranger is unsatisfactory to transition to the fighter. The fighter's main ability is multiple attacks, and a subclass should cater to that. Advantage is one way (Samurai, Cavalier) or more crits (Champion). The goal should be to find a way for a fighter's attacks to benefit from having a dog around.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases