• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Millithor in the City of the Spider Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endur

First Post
Marckarius mentions the strange dream he had about three Illithids interrogating him. He is certain it could not have happpened and yet the Illithids in the dream looked identical to the three Illithids in the arena. Marckarius mentions that he would prefer to attack the Illithids if the opportunity presents itself.

Quertus spends an hour casting spells and examining the coin.

Quertus has determined that its original primary magic ability is it was supposed to protect the owner from mental manipulation. It gave the owner a +2 bonus to his will save. Except that there was a flaw in the design (deliberate?), and the owner has a -2 penalty to his will save against certain Illithids, including Syrzan, its creator.

Quertus also determined that the coin bears the Curse of Dragon Greed, a curse that causes the weak-willed who touch the coin to always desire it and to pursue it if they lose it. Caster level 12 for SR; no will save. After two weeks of not touching the coin, someone who was under the curse becomes free from the curse. They don't necessarily realize that they were under a curse before, however, and may continue to desire the coin of their own will. The other ways to become freed from the curse include death or a remove curse spell from a higher level caster.

Quertus has also deduced that the coin has hidden functions that identify can not discover. He believes that the coin is both a storage device for memories as well as possibly a conduit allowing an owner to receive information from other owners. Quertus is not certain how or why these abilities would be built into the coin. He postulates that the original Illithid creator may have wanted the ability to read the mind and locate the owner of the coin for feeding purposes. He is not certain how the memories fits into the mind reading and location aspects of the coin. Quertus thinks it is possible that the coin has evolved from its original purpose and may be intelligent.

edit: added how to free yourself from the curse

Last edited:

metrostar

First Post
Serpenteye said:
There is no need for apologies, girl. You did as you were ordered, within the limitations of your competence. At least that is what I have to assume, since your abilities remain a mystery to me. It would be more tactically sound, though, if I knew just how useful you could be to me, in and out of combat. It would benefit neither of us if your usefulness remained uncertain. I have no doubt that you are quite a cunning spy and seductress. You are a spellcaster, a sorceress perhaps?

Jena continues speaking with Matron Ki'Willis in a low voice.

It would be best if you did not know what my abilities are. Matron Baenre chose me as her agent for specific reasons, which require me to keep my abilities secret. There are enemies of the drow, illithids among them, who can discover deep secrets. And I request that you not tell your family and associates that I am anything more than a slave.

I will tell you that I have focused on the more subtle magics, not the open, blatant magic that most arcanists prefer. It is possible that I will be helping you without you even realizing it. In fact, I have already worked my magic on House Millithor's behalf, in small ways. And now that you know I am not a slave, we could work together in new ways. While I weave my magic discreetly, you can act as if you yourself cast the spells, increasing the fear and respect that you and House Millithor already commands.

When the time comes, my meaning will become clear to you.

OOC I see now why Endur wanted to keep Jena a secret, it's more fun this way :D

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
As Matron Ki'Willis ponders the alternatives, she remembers something one of the Matron Mothers on the ruling council told her. That Menzoberanzan, like other underdark cities, had many defenses against extraplanar travelers.

She also remembers that the full name of Laral's establishment was "Laral's of Skullport". She wonders whether the "of Skullport" was significant. If Laral was a member of a larger organization, a center of trade might contain dangers from other members of Laral's organization.

Thels

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
... His opening catches them by surprise ... They look at him with suspicion ...

OOC: Please refrain from stating actions for other PC's?

"Well, I don't know about the seductress here, but I personally feel rather naked without my two short swords on my sides. Curse that dwarf! And his petty cousin Django, for trying to fool us!" Dariel says, while his fingers flash: Do we really have to split the loot with that muscleball over there?

Endur

First Post
After seven hours, Krecil knocks on the door to the secure shelter. The members of House Millithor have completed their meditations and Quertus has recovered his arcane spells.

Krecil enters and speaks to Matron Ki'Willis and the others.

"I left the Drow luxury box in the direction of the drow quarter. When I reached the door leading out of Laral's place, I smelled blood, but no one was around. I looked behind the inn keeper's desk and found four bodies. All of them had their throat's cut. The inn keeper, two other servants that worked at Laral's place, and Lady Yyssiriryl.

"I looked around, but could find no trace of the assassin. The assassin was very good. No unnecessary wounds. No blood stains in obvious places.

"I went off looking for Trygon. The drow quarter looked like a war zone. The tents and buildings were smashed. The only goblinoids in sight were dead bodies. No drow were anywhere in sight. Trygon was fighting several earth elementals and giant walking mushrooms. I found a place of concealment and watched the battle.

"The Earth Elementals and Giant mushrooms soon stopped fighting and fell apart. They must have been summoned creatures with a time limit to their presence.

"Trygon had taken some wounds, but he was healing very quickly. He started sniffing the air and talking about tracking a Gnome and a Spellcaster.

"He fought several more skirmishes with mushrooms. I never realized just how many mushrooms there are in Mantol Derith. Then, he and I both saw the gnome slave and a dwarf running from one hiding place to another.

"He started heading towards the two of them when he encountered Endur. I guess the fight in the arena must have been over.

"Trygon charged the dwarf, and Endur cut off Trygon's right arm with his first blow.

"I started looking around and I realized all of the sudden that there were quite a number of Duergar walking around the cavern. Laral and the Crown Prince were standing not too far from where I was hiding, watching the fight between Endur and Trygon. Remembering that Duergar can hide invisibly, I decided it was a good time to start sneaking towards the exit from Mantol Derith.

"My last look at Mantol Derith, I saw a trading center that was falling to pieces. Laral's place was on fire. There were a few humanoids pouring water on the building, but not enough to stop the fire. I saw a group of duergar toss another duergar who was wrapped in chains into the Darklake. All of the independent merchant had packed up their goods and were fleeing the cavern. Duergar and Goblinoid scavengers were looting whatever wasn't smashed in the drow quarter. The Prince's entourage was piling into their boats to sail back to Gracklstugh. Endur and the other dwarves were burning and boiling pieces of severed troll in a massive fire.

"So how was the arena? What did I miss? And the trip through the Shadow plane?"

Serpenteye

First Post
metrostar said:
Jena continues speaking with Matron Ki'Willis in a low voice.

It would be best if you did not know what my abilities are. Matron Baenre chose me as her agent for specific reasons, which require me to keep my abilities secret. There are enemies of the drow, illithids among them, who can discover deep secrets. And I request that you not tell your family and associates that I am anything more than a slave.

I will know eventually, Jena. It will be all but inevitable if we are to travel and fight together for any significant amount of time. I will respect your wishes for the time being, however.

metrostar said:

While I weave my magic discreetly, you can act as if you yourself cast the spells, increasing the fear and respect that you and House Millithor already commands.

The matron nods thoughtfully, seemingly intrigued by the idea.
Really child, why should I place my life in your hands? You could easily frame or humiliate me if I accepted your suggestion at the wrong time and place. Baenre's agenda is not mine, nor, I suspect, is it yours.

...Simultaneously 'disproving' the heretical belief that Lolth is dead, and inspiring the masses to the belief that our House is favoured. Your idea has merit, but the wise will see trough that bluff and see it as a sign of weakness. Then again, the fools of this world far outnumber the wise. I would, of course, have to know which spells you can cast.

metrostar said:

When the time comes, my meaning will become clear to you.
Indeed.

Thels said:
Dariel says, while his fingers flash:
Do we really have to split the loot with that muscleball over there?
(handtalk) Just as long as he remains useful to us

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Kilcif: Bugbear/Male (Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue)

Kilcif watches as Quertus pulls the eyes out of the skull, Yeah nothing for me. I like my eyes... Dariel comments bring Kilcif attention back on track and causes him to chuckle at him; “You looked pretty naked during the fighting too… To bad fighting lesson cost extra.” He gives everyone a glance while pointing to the remains; “If no one objects I’ll dispose of that.”

And if no one objects: Kilcif will to remove anything of perceived value from the human’s body and dispatch of in a way that a simple raise dead spell will do no good.

OOC: Sure thing and I’ll edit it out. :) BTW it’s done. Note: Sort of wanted this post to be two above but oh well, that's what I get for goofing off and not typing. :)

Last edited:

Thels

First Post
"Oh yeah, of course you would defeat that dwarf without any problem whatsoever. I was kind of scared to learn Endur still lives, but now everything's fine. If we meet him again, we'll just send you at him and everything's solved. Anyhow, do we know the current surroundings? If anyone could lend me a weapon, I'll have a look." Dariel's eyes flash forth and back at the surroundings, not knowing what to suspect, while his hands keep grabbing for his sides, finding nothing.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Kilcif smiles at the drow, “I’m glad I can help you with your fear, but honestly it's just a matter of being subtle and in the right terrain I expect I can anything or anyone.“

Thels

First Post
Dariel grins. "Wake up, boy. The right terrain is something that happens in child stories. Real life doesn't give out presents."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads