House of X/Powers of X

Mercurius

Legend
Brief background: My comic book reading hey-day was the mid-80s to early-90s, basically middle and high school. I read widely, but especially loved the X-Men, Silver Surfer, and a few indies (e.g. Sandman and Adventurers). I stopped reading in the early 90s, through some combination of "X-fatigue" (especially after Claremont left), a shift in art and overall quality, and probably just out-growing them. But I check back in on the X-universe every so often out of curiosity, but haven't really had a sustained run since the early 90s.

Earlier tonight I did one of my check-ins, mostly related to wondering how MCU is going to reboot the X-Men, and I stumbled across the House of X/Powers of X storyline from last year and found myself intrigued. It seems like a rather radical reboot, perhaps the biggest in the long X-history.

So my intention here is ask: For long-time X-fans, do you like it? Good and bad points?

Secondly, is there any hint that this will inspire the MCU reboot?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think the MCU is doing a reboot. As I understand, they are simply continuing storylines and starting new ones with new characters. It'll be a reboot when the recast characters, and I don't expect they're going to try to get someone to replace, say Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark any time soon.

Especially when the comics already have a tradition of having a new character take on a role - like Miles Morales does for Spider-Man. The Multiverse line they have running also allows them to introduce characters without rebooting timelines at all. I could easily see this as the entry point for mutants into the MCU.

Word is that the next BBEG is Kang the Conqueror - as a time travel villain, at the end of his run they'd have a good excuse for rebooting. But that's years off still. I wouldn't expect the X-lines to really drive the narrative like they do in the series you mention until Kang is off the table.

I'm a long-time X-Men and Marvel fan, but I gave up reading Marvel comics after Secret Wars. Not because I didn't like Secret Wars - in fact, it's one of my favorite stories of all time. My reading habits have just changed since I was a kid, and reading a chapter a month doesn't work for me anymore. That said, the new House of X and Powers of X books brought me back - I'm reading them in trade paperback and they are the best X-men stories since Grant Morrison. Coincidentally, the mastermind behind them is Jonathan Hickman, who previously revamped Ultimate Marvel, Fantastic Four, the Avengers and Secret Wars.

Since I'm reading the trades, I'm not up to date on on the most recent issues, but I really recommend them. If you are an X-men purist who wants to see the same stories that the books have been telling since the 70's, you might not like House Of X/Powers of X. But if you are willing to try something new that still stays true to the characters, you'll love them.

GreyLord

Legend
I stopped reading around the early to mid 2000s. The art went downhill and the stories just went all very disjointed and not as easy to follow. Sometime after House of M and various other storylines connected to that.

After that I heard things that just didn't attract me back (Peter Parker decides to sacrifice his marriage and then Doctor Octopus takes over his body and becomes Spiderman instead, Cyclops becomes the villain, etc).

I'm not sure if even a good comicbook series could win me back, but for someone as disillusioned as I got with the storylines, would House of X/Powers of X win me back?

Mercurius

Legend
I don't think the MCU is doing a reboot. As I understand, they are simply continuing storylines and starting new ones with new characters. It'll be a reboot when the recast characters, and I don't expect they're going to try to get someone to replace, say Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark any time soon.

Especially when the comics already have a tradition of having a new character take on a role - like Miles Morales does for Spider-Man. The Multiverse line they have running also allows them to introduce characters without rebooting timelines at all. I could easily see this as the entry point for mutants into the MCU.

Word is that the next BBEG is Kang the Conqueror - as a time travel villain, at the end of his run they'd have a good excuse for rebooting. But that's years off still. I wouldn't expect the X-lines to really drive the narrative like they do in the series you mention until Kang is off the table.
Just a point of clarification: I'm not talking about an MCU reboot, but an X-Men reboot within the MCU.

I don't think MCU would reboot unless their next phase proved less popular than the last. That is quite possible, considering the "retirement" of the two most central Avengers.

Vael

Legend
I'm not a major comics reader ... but I read House of X / Powers of X and was instantly enthralled. I recently got a Marvel Unlimited subscription and have been reading all the X-titles post HoX/PoX and are really enjoying them.

Remove ads