• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Rule on Dervish and Falchions

pbd

First Post
I am playing a Dervish that weilds a Falchion. In DnD terms a falchion is essentially a large scimitar (it actually isn't, in truth it is a French cleaving sword that was one of the most common swords of th medieval period due to its armor cleavign ability, but I don't want to start a discussion of DnD weapon vs real life weapons here. Although I would be happy to comment on that in another thread)

Moving on:

One of the class features of the Dervish, called slashing blades, is being able to count scimitars as light weapons (rather than one-handed) for all purposes, including weapon finesse and two-weapon fighting.

In our campaign we extended this to incluse using the falchion (essentially a two-handed scimitar in DnD) with one hand. The character in questionhas a high strength. He isn't using it with TWF or anything (and probably won't, but maybe) and can't use a shield and still get his dervish abilities; I was mostly thinking about holding a torch in the off-hand.

Does it seem reasonable to let the falchion also count as one category "smaller" with the slashing blades class feature? The DM already thinks so, I am just checking for my own piece of mind.

Also, as an aside, has anyone extended the elaborate parry feature of the Dervish to work with combat expertise?

pbd

Andor

First Post
Plus it help with the self-gimping feature of the dervish. IE: Once your scimitars count as light weapons you can't power attack with them.

I've never quite followed the logic of that 'feature'.

Psimancer

First Post
Andor said:
Plus it help with the self-gimping feature of the dervish. IE: Once your scimitars count as light weapons you can't power attack with them.
Not too sure if I agree with you there; being able to treat a weapon as light doesn't actually make it light...

pbd

First Post
I'll just assume, from the lack of responses, that everyone thinks this is a great house rule and will use it in their campaigns. In fact WoTC will probably add it to an errata for Complete Warrior it is so good!

pbd

Last edited:

Brain

First Post
I don't think the dervish needs any more perks than it has, personally. Why would you want to wield a falchion one-handed anyways if not doing anything useful with your off-hand? As far as the other question goes, do you mean getting the AC bonus for just using combat expertise and not fighting defensively? I'd say don't allow that. If you meant fighting defensively in addition to combat expertise, then I'd say yes.

Remove ads