• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Rules: Choose Em, Don't Use Em, or Abuse Em?

House Rules: Choose Em, Don't Use Em, or Abuse Em? (Scale of 1 to 10)

• Letter of the Law for Me

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I Changed a Rule...Once

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • Doesn't Everyone Put Money on Free Parking?

Votes: 64 29.8%
  • ...and Collect $400 Dollars When Passing Go

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • I Change More Than a Few

Votes: 73 34.0%
  • Maybe a Little More Than Half the Rules Need Adjusting

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • A Lot of Rules Need Some Tweeking

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • There are Few Rules that I Would Never Change

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Nothing is Sacred and Most Things Get Changed

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I RE-Wrote the Book

Votes: 8 3.7%

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Some people play the game as purists, some tweek and house rule everything, some fall somewhere in between: Who are YOU?

maddman75

First Post
My list of house rules fit on a single page, mostly lifting class restrictions and fixing some 'issue' spells. Harm and polymorph are altered, Time Stop banned.

Mercule

Adventurer
My list basically consists of picking and choosing the "variants" from the DMG, picking which PrCs and expansion spells are used, banning Rangers (use Woodsman from WoT), and give Sorcerers 4 skill points.

A few others have come and gone, but the above are the staples.

Of course, the homebrew I'm setting up will be fairly radical. More of a d20 game than D&D: mostly new classes, change the magic system (prompting most of the class changes), modified monsters, custom races, etc.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Depends on the game system.

I run D20 pretty much by the book - mind you, a lot of third-party material goes into my games, which is basically published "house rules" anyways.

I run CyberPunk 2020 with a BOOK of house rules, about 300 pages total.

I ran Vampire 2nd ed House-Ruled to the ends of the earth.

I run Vampire 3rd ed by the book.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
More votes, please :) (I'm mainly interested in d20/D&D campaign situations)

Last edited:

Petrosian

First Post
i change rules as i see fit.

I usually end up changing things for two reasons...

1. the balance seems inappropriate for my campaign.

2. the rule does not add the proper flavor for my campaign.

I view both of these as part of the same phenomenon...

A punlished rulebook is a set of rules intended for broader market appeal... they are compromises to appeal to a broader swath of potential buyers. This goes even as far as the setting specific stuff.

I know the story/campaign i want to play.
I know the preferences of my players.
I know the specifics of their characters and character's backgrounds.

I know all of these much better and in more detail than the guys who wrote that rulebook for mass market who never met me or my players.

Therefore, i do not expect the rules to be a perfect fit.

balance and flavor are very dependent on those things I know that the designers did not.

So, where I see fit, i change things.

Now, when i change things, i post it ahead of time. My players are informed. I also do my best to make these changes before the campaign starts and hold the mid-campaign switches to smaller things if any at all.

MarauderX

Explorer
I change things to make the game easier to play IMO. I take out detailed encumberance, spell components, other small stuff that gets in the way of the role-play or combat. I also change some of the spells for casters, and let the players know how things will work. I also let them know that monsters and other typical rules may be altered and it is up to the party to discover them - it leads to even more paranoid players, but when I let them know XP is adjusted accordingly they don't mind one bit.

I think the 3E rules are really good, but I still feel the need to tweak things a bit, such as how sound & sight work for spotting one another for an encounter. The DMG does a so-so job of incorporating things well, but still doesn't think ahead to cover some things, such as hearing a waterfall in the distance as soon as the party enters a dungeon. Such things affect how the game 'models' reality, something I like to aim for more than the game currently does by having things make sense - no retarded dungeon crawls IMC.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I change things to fit what I want out of a game. I often will increase skill points or give bonus skill points for knowledge type skills. I always tweak the magic system, I hate item creation. I don't like the tumbling rules........(you don't want to hear it all) I rewrote the book.

I can play and am happy to play by the book, I have always played home brew games (rules and worlds) and like to tweak things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads