Houserule: 2 subclasses at once.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don’t understand how that makes the option weaker than having just one subclass. Yes they compete for the same resource, but you have more options on what to do with that resource, which in turn likely leads to using the resource more often. Can’t tell you how many times I see players with leftover Chanel divinities at the end of an adventuring day.

I'm not comparing against one subclass, I'm comparing against two other subclasses.

For instance, Fighter (Samurai + Champion) can give themselves Advantage and take advantage of an increased crit range at the same time. Their power is straightforward increased as they both work at the same time in a multiplicative way.

A Paladin (Devotion + Vengeance) will be able to benfit from both auras at 7th level, but they have a limited number of Channel Divinity uses to split between powering their oaths. So they have a power boost, but not as great as the Fighter.

Both are more powerful than a single class, but the some combinations get more out of it than others.

Not a big deal at any particular table, especially when players and DM communicate. Just pointing it out.

I think the classes you will have to keep the closest eye on are those that have subclasses that grant a pool of resources on top of what the base class already gets.
More generally, each class gains a different amount of its power from its subclass. A wizard might only get 6% of its total utility from its subclass features, while a barbarian or warlock gets 20%, such that the latter classes gain more of a bonus from having multiple subclasses.

Remove ads