• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Houseruled: Feats, Rolled Stats, MCing Pick One

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As the title says.

DM says the player can use feats, multiclassing or roll for stats. BUT you can only pick one your choice.

Thoughts?
I won't play in a game where I don't roll, so... Of the remaining two, I'd go for feats long before multiclassing.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In 1E there were maximum scores by race. I think Elves had a maximum of 19 Dexterity, so that is doable. Half-Orcs though got a +1 to strength and the maximum strength for a half-orc male was I believe 18/99 so they could not use this to get a 19.
Male of female, half-orcs had a maximum strength of 18 before rolling %, so 18/00 was max for both. They had a max of 19 con, though.

Li Shenron

Legend
As a player I'd choose feats. I almost never multiclass, so that's not an issue. Rolled stats, point buy, or array all work for me.

Oh, and I'll throw my hat in the ring about feats. The problem isn't the power feats, which are about equivalent to +2 on your primary ability*, but the sheer number of terrible feats. Add in the fact that you're only going to get a handful (at best) over the course of a campaign, and you're going to see the same ones over and over again.

*Sharpshooter is slightly above the norm, but only because two abilities negate most penalties for ranged attacks, making the -5/+10 easier to do.
I agree with you, and I can't forget that during 5e playtest the original idea was that feats were supposed to be bold and powerful deals! But somehow the old "better weak than broken" designers fear crept in and they delivered too many underwhelming feats.

As a side note, but not sure if any feat actually suffers from that, there is also the "worst-abuse scenario" design principle that, while a lot of gamers appreciate for avoiding powergaming issues, it can produce too narrow-case abilities like Drawmij Instant Summons (in the perfect situation it can "solve" an encounter, 99% of the time it's not worth its spell level).

Sharpshooter might be my personal edge within feats, not because I think it's too good by itself but because there are a lot of other boosts and benefits for archers, and I think altogether they make ranged combat too convenient.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Feats, absolutely. Multiclass I'm ambivalent on, and rollled stats just imbalance the characters (if I want characters to have weak stats I'll just use a lower point buy or stat array)
1636797001779.jpeg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads