• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How are spiked chains carried?

Synicism

First Post
Voadam said:
I was thinking of the same image from that movie, but I don't think that would be feasible if there were spikes on the rope.
I think you need to discard the image the PHB has of the spiked chain so that, for the most part, the spiked part is only on the last couple links, or something like that. This way you'd wind up with a chain with some added nastiness for striking on the ends. A character wielding one would change his grip and wrap the chain to increase or decrease the length (and therefore the reach) on the fly and could carry it wrapped around himself when not in combat.

FYI, this doesn't necessarily impede movement either. Certain Chinese martial arts styles pracice what's called a sash drill where they wrap themselves up in a long (10-12') sash and practice punches and blocks, using the sash to allow them freedom move movement but restricting them to a range of moves designed for maximum efficiency.

ogre

First Post
My elven paladin wears his spiked chain as a belt and then does this wild kung-fu like move wipping it around to loosen it for battle.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I coil mine on top of my head, stick some fruit on the pointy bits, and pretend I'm Carmen Miranda.

mirand_book_color.gif

You can barely see the metal chain under there at all.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
This is the first I'd heard that there was any historical analogue to the spiked chain, which strikes me a sort of a weird weapon to begin with....more of a mechanic in search of an item, if you know what I mean.

If this was a historical weapon, it sounds like one of those asian weapons that was more for art than for actual practical use. It sounds like using a boomerang in melee, almost.

galaga88

Explorer
Synicism said:
Hmmm. The monk I'm playing in my current game uses one. If you've ever watched Jet Li or Jackie Chan use a rope, belt, chain, or other similar weapon, that's how I envision carrying and wielding it. If you've ever seen Shanghai Noon, Jackie fights a bunch of gunfighters with a rope and a horseshoe and there are times when he carries it wrapped up around his arms and torso in such a way that he can disengage it and attack really fast, without entangling himself.

Yeah, but that's Jackie Chan. He can, and HAS fought with his own clothing as a viable weapon. D&D players are sadly, mere mortals. :)

LGodamus

First Post
galaga88 said:
Yeah, but that's Jackie Chan. He can, and HAS fought with his own clothing as a viable weapon. D&D players are sadly, mere mortals. :)

Yeah but their characters dont have to be....any of my Monks could kick the stuffing outa jackie chan :D

JEL

First Post
Umbran said:
Okay, so what was the offensive tactic - hitting the enemy with the chain, or having your pants fall down at the begining of combat? :D

For practitioners of Sexy Commando, having your pants fall down at the beginning of combat is a good thing.

alsih2o

First Post
i had a fighter with a spiked chain who kept screwing up his quickdraw attempts...

Attachments

• chains.JPG
    chains.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 104

Remove ads