• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How are you feeling about 5e?

How do you feel about D&D now, and 5e?

• I like all D&D variants, except 5e.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike all D&D variants, except 5e is awesome.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

sheadunne

Explorer
It's not a solo decision for me since I game with a group of people that I'm not likely to leave regardless of what we're playing.

We're currently playing Pathfinder because of the APs (we're 3/4 done one and have two more in the pipeline to run). We don't have the time or inclination to run homebrew games, we're all busy people. Unless 5e has some great APs, we're likely to just stick to Pathfinder, which has content to last us for many years to come.

I may run/play a few 5e games to get a feel for it, as I did with 4e. But since I doubt 5e is going to offer me anything that I can't get from simply playing an older edition, I doubt I'll have it as a regular game.

Only time will tell though. Rules aren't enough for me to switch systems.

That said, I'm fascinated by the design work and look forward to devouring the 5e books (as long as they're available electronically, since I no longer buy hardcopy books).

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
I've enjoyed all the editions of D&D I've played: AD&D --> 4e (including Pathfinder). I'm also feeling pretty good about 5e.

Right now, my group and I are having a good time w/AD&D, running it fast and loose with a mixture of city-based homebrewed adventure material and chunks of some classic tournament modules.

I'd love to see 5e being compatible enough with pre-3e D&D so I can keep using my small-but-beloved collection of AD&D modules with minimum of conversion.

I can dream, right?

delericho

Legend
At the moment, 3.5e is my preferred D&D. However, I see very significant weaknesses with it. Indeed, I consider Pathfinder to be an improvement, just not "better enough" to compel me to switch.

With 5e, I'll wait and see, although I'm becoming more pessimistic as time goes by. I'm not really looking for either backwards compatibility or rules innovation, as such, though - I'm happy to let them do their thing, and then judge what they've come up with on its own merits. If it's good, great. If not, I'll stick with what I have.

I really wish they'd get on with that Open Playtest, though! I'm just impatient that way. :)

Steely_Dan

First Post
Very interesting about the BECMI/4th Ed talk, because soon after DMing 4th Ed, I got a real desire to run a Basic Ed campaign, and am now working on a Home-brew system with a 4th Ed combat chassis (standard, move, minor, bursts, blasts, conditions, monsters etc), but with earlier edition feel races and classes (no powers, more freewheeling ability checks to pull off stuff).

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Very interesting about the BECMI/4th Ed talk, because soon after DMing 4th Ed, I got a real desire to run a Basic Ed campaign, and am now working on a Home-brew system with a 4th Ed combat chassis (standard, move, minor, bursts, blasts, conditions, monsters etc), but with earlier edition feel races and classes (no powers, more freewheeling ability checks to pull off stuff).

I have seen requests and a desire to see something like this since 4E came out. I just think there's a difference between a "Basic 4E" and "BECMI 4E style".

That's why I was asking for clarification.

But, I think a "Basic 4E" could be a real hit. Let us know if you get it into a playable state.

Steely_Dan

First Post
But, I think a "Basic 4E" could be a real hit. Let us know if you get it into a playable state.

Okay, yeah, what I'm doing right now is sitting down with the Basic Rulebook (81, Moldvay), 1st Ed PHB, 2nd Ed PHB, 3rd Ed PHB, 4th Ed Heroes of books and Rules Compendium, and seeing what I can come up with.

So whether 5th works out or not, I got plenty to play with (and more with any bits from 5th Ed I dig).

Janaxstrus

First Post
My interest in 5e just took a dramatic turn southward with the announcement that Monte Cook is no longer on the dev team.

Yesterday, I might have chosen "I prefer non-4e, & will wait see. Needs Rules Innovation."

Can't XP you, but I will quote this to show my full agreement with that statement

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads