D&D 5E How badly did Sword Coast Legends damage the brand?

Gnashtooth

First Post
I want to reiterate here that this game still has VERY serious video driver bugs that cause the game to crash, and you lose your progress since the last save. This is for both nVidia and AMD cards. Intel integrated video is reported to be almost unusably slow, and high end video cards overheat when running the game.

BoldItalic

First Post
It hasn't damaged the brand, just the corner of the brand that it might have represented.

It's like making a skill check or an attack roll; if you roll high, something good happens whereas if you roll low, nothing at all happens. SCL has rolled low on their Persuade-people-to-buy-me check. Result - status quo.

It's not as if they rolled a critical fumble, like Trapdoor did with DungeonScape. Even so, did the DungeonScape failure damage the D&D brand? Not really, WotC just signed up with Smiteworks instead and the world carried on turning.

I do see similarities between the two failures - a small developer with an unrealistic vision of what the market wanted, lacking the resources even to implement their own vision but carried away by their own hype until cold reality hits. But it's easy to be an armchair critic. Could I have set up a company and developed a computerised version of D&D? Nope. At least they tried, so we should credit them with that.

Last edited:

Yeah I'm a big D&D geek, and also pretty hardcore on PC gaming. I don't play video games to scratch my D&D itch. Legends is fun and no where near as buggy as a lot of other releases out there.

delericho

Legend
Not even remotely. Had SCL been a massive commercial and critical success, it would have been trumpeted far and wide as a great example of the D&D brand in action. Since it hasn't, it's "Sword Coast Legends" - and by using that naming, they're able to put a firewall between it and the 'real' brand.

When Andy Murray wins, he's British. When he loses, he's a plucky Scot.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think "not at all".

Most people (that are even aware of D&D, thus susceptible to any "damage") either don't buy that game or do so with the understanding Legends isn't D&D the brand or the game.

Remove ads