How big is Baldur's gate?

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Hi folks, I'm running MiBG and I've been wondering how many people live in Baldur's Gate, couldn't find it in the campaign guide, anyone know?

My gut feeling tells me that it's between 500,000-650,000.

Warder

Edgewood

First Post
According to my Forgotten Realms Adventures, its 86,000 in the slow season and 115,000 in the summer. This information is not recent though.

darrell_uk

Explorer
FR Campaign Guide, "the city's population is believed to have long ago surpassed even Waterdeep's".
Making it, I guess, the biggest city in the world. (Original campaign set puts population of Waterdeep as 100k+, or more than the combined populations of Cormyr's vities.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah. That's a lot for a medieval city. Rome at the height of the Republic had a few hundred thousand, and it ruled the known world.

Dungeoneer

First Post
o_O
Realy? That's seems very low, Especialy for a metropolise that control everything in a 100 miles range.

Warder
In a pre-technological society there are limits to how many people a city can support. If you haven't invented the modern sewer system, waste disposal is going to be a pretty big problem. You also have to feed all those people, as they can't grow their own food.

Posr

First Post
I think that the population of the city of Rome (3rd Century CE) at its peak was more like a million+ (I know - hard to imagine) then it shrank WAY down.
It could fit Waterdeep in its front pocket.

Remove ads