• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How/Can you roleplay a non-musical bard?

Stormborn

Explorer
First, I have never known many people who did anything other than just say "My bard starts singing a song of courage" or the like, so no reason to feel ashamed. How is saying that different than saying "I cast Fireball centered here..." rather than wavign ones hands around spouting Pseudo-Latin/Faux-Draconic?

However, there are a lot of options pointed out here, I would add another possibility for Perform (witty banter). Picture Spiderman or Robin/Nightwind (Dick Grayson) going into battle makng puns and cracks about the bad guys. Such things could have a bardic music effect.

Prest0

First Post
I once played a bard who specialized in stage magic. He could do all manner of slight-of-hand on stage, and he could use the same techniques for mesmerizing enemies. For inspiring his friends, his "patter" for a trick could involve some moral designed to reinforce their confidence. In one instance I did a simple trick with a marked coin as an example for why teamwork is more effective than fighting alone. Even if ou just teach yourself one or two simple tricks a gradeschooler could learn, chances are you'll impress the GM and get some extra XP for roleplay.

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
DJCupboard said:
How about a smack talking (for discouraging enemies) bard who is just real good at the right kind of encouragement to get his friends going too. Try Perform (motivational speaker). "And I know, friends, that if you gig deep into the well of your own self-empowerment, the courage, the tenacity, the will to overcome these obstacles is well within your capable reach. All you have to do, friends, is try and the power can be yours!" "I feel the power coming from you today! I see it in your eyes! If you try, really try, and put your all into, I know, and believe me, I've seen it before a thousand times, you too can be successful!"

For some reason, when you said motivational speaker, I instantly thought of... Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey.

qstor

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Don't be original. Go and get some *real* poetry/jokes/oratory.

I disagree 100%. If a player wants to be creative *don't* stop him or her. What's to say that a *real* bard isn't the storyteller myth keeper of the tribe/city/kingdom. Have and work with the player to create stories, tales whatever of the area that you're DMing in. A creative player would just run with stuff like this. And a DM should reward the player for developing the character and contributing to the campaign at the same time!

Mike

ST

First Post
For a bard who uses history and (to some extent) rhetoric, look at Croaker from the Black Company. The whole point of his character is the vital importance of lore and history to the survival of an organization.

Another cool thing about Croaker is that he does his "inspire" bit more often with a snide comment or a sarcastic grin than with one of his big history readings. He's well-read but totally down to earth, and I think a character along those lines could be a lot of fun to play.

rgard

Adventurer
bodhi said:
QFT.
I mean, if you have your magnum opus burning to get out, by all means, set it down. But it's much easier to rip off borrow from previous masters, like the St. Crispin's Day Speech from Henry V, or Dylan Thomas' Do not go gentle into that good night.

Or maybe look at something like the haka.

Or go find some DVD's of Def Poetry Jam.

I gotta admit, it's hard for me to think of appropriate examples that are non-verbal, given the audience focus of the bard. Although a drow signing bard or an illithid telepath bard would be interesting.

Also from Henry V:

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; or close the wall up with our English dead!"

Edit Addtion: If you go with Oratory, just pick up a copy of Barlett's Familiar Quotations...that'll keep you flush with cool stuff to say.

Last edited:

kyloss

First Post
I am actualy working up a bard whose main schtick is cooking, nothing inspires courage like good food, and fear like really realy bad food. Think perform Benihana.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I am actualy working up a bard whose main schtick is cooking, nothing inspires courage like good food, and fear like really realy bad food. Think perform Benihana.

Or a good ethnic stereotype Mama who says "you look SO skinny- you hardly eat! Here, have a third helping..."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads